Bit Of A Yarn

Kaya Camp Leaning Towards Newmarket

• Journalists

Connections of Lady Kaya (Ire) (Dandy Man {Ire}), the eye-catching winner of last weekend’s G3 1000 Guineas Trial at Leopardstown, have indicated they are leaning towards the G1 1000 Guineas with their talented 3-year-old. Lady Kaya, who races for Joanne Lavery, was winning for the first time in four starts since breaking her maiden in August.

“She came out of the race very well, and I would imagine that we are leaning towards Newmarket, but we’ll make a definite decision closer to the time,” said trainer Sheila Lavery. “She did surprise me a little, because I wasn’t convinced she’d stay on that ground. You’d have to be happy. It was soft ground down the back, which she wouldn’t have been keen on, so I was delighted and surprised.”

Performing so well over seven furlongs, Lady Kaya also helped eased doubts that she would get the one-mile Guineas distance.

“The big thing now is she has really learned to settle,” Lavery said. “[Jockey] Robbie [Colgan] can put her where he wants. He gave her a beautiful ride.

“The consensus seems to be Newmarket is an easier mile than The Curragh, so all things being right, we’ll be aiming her at Newmarket.”

View the full article