Bit Of A Yarn

Baffert Duo Breeze at Santa Anita for Kentucky Derby

• Journalists

Roadster (Quality Road), impressive winner of the GI Santa Anita Derby, and champion Game Winner (Candy Ride {Arg}), worked at Santa Anita Friday ahead of the upcoming GI Kentucky Derby.

Working in company after the 6:45 a.m. renovation break, Roadster went six furlongs in 1:13.80 (1/3), while Game Winner covered seven furlongs in 1:27 (1/1) after the 7:45 a.m. break. Both had jockey Martin Garcia in the irons.

Last year’s GIII Los Alamitos Derby winner Once On Whiskey (Bodemeister) worked with Roadster and was clocked in 1:01.20 for five furlongs. Five-year-old winner Show Me Da Lute (Midnight Lute) worked with Game Winner, getting five furlongs in 1:00.60. Both Roadster and Game Winner were inside of their workmates.

“I had them inside just to keep the pressure on,” Baffert said. “That way I can control their works.”

“I loved the way he went,” Baffert said of Roadster’s breeze. “Martin said he felt great and didn’t take a deep breath. That’s one thing about this horse—he’ll go a mile and a quarter. We just don’t know how fast. He handles a deep track, and the really good ones will do that. After that, I could see a big change in him. He really needed that race.

Game Winner placed second in his two starts at three, most recently finishing a half-length behind Roadster in the Santa Anita Derby.

“Game Winner looked awesome; it was perfect,” Baffert said.

View the full article