Bit Of A Yarn

Telemon T’breds to Stand Sidestep

• Journalists

Darley’s shuttle stallion and Australian champion 2-year-old colt Sidestep (Aus) (Exceed And Excel {Aus}–Destrous {Aus}, by Quest for Fame {GB}) will stand at Telemon Thoroughbreds for the coming season in Queensland as part of an arrangement between Darley and Telemon. The new 240-acre operation will get off the ground in June when Sun Stud’s lease expires on the property.

“It’s our privilege to offer a horse the calibre of Sidestep,” said Telemon Thoroughbreds owner Dan Fletcher. “He’d be one of the best 2-year-olds to stand up here in my time. The other horses that were at a similar level at two include Written Tycoon (Aus), General Nediym (Aus), Show a Heart (Aus) and Brave Warrior (Aus) and they all made a massive impact.”

A dual Group 2 winner, Sidestep will be available to Queensland breeders for a minimum of the next two seasons at a fee of A$7,700, and those that support Sidestep in 2018, will be guaranteed the stallion’s availability at the same fee for 2019. The half-brother to the G1 Champagne S. hero and sire Skilled (Aus) (Commands {Aus}) was also runner-up in the 2013 G1 Golden Slipper S. and sports a record of three wins in 16 starts and $1,333,448 in earnings. Out of the MGSW Destrous (Aus), herself a half-sister to MG1SP Light Work (Aus) (Danehill), Sidestep’s oldest Southern Hemisphere foals are currently yearlings.

Godolphin Australia Managing Director Vin Cox said, “It’s a really exciting opportunity for all breeders in Queensland. I know the quality of the farm where he’ll be standing from my time in Queensland so that was a huge attraction. There’s absolutely no doubt Sidestep is a terrific chance to make it and with his first yearlings currently entering the racing systems we thought it made sense to position him in a market where

we know he will be embraced.”

Telemon has appointed Joe Heather as general manager, and the veteran horseman will begin his duties on June 1.

“I can’t wait to get started,” said Heather. “When the owner of the farm told me Sidestep will be standing at the farm I was over the moon. With his credentials, and large initial crops of Hunter Valley foals on their way through various leading stables including Godolphin’s, he’s a huge chance and Queensland

breeders will love him.”

View the full article