Bit Of A Yarn

Is AIDEN OBRIEN a Horse Whisperer??

Thomass

Perhaps not in the true sense...but he probably does that as well... as actually whisper

"Horses really listen to people's voices, they really respond to people talking to them kindly, and, the other way, if you're aggressive with them, they squirm up and don't like that," O'Brien tells me as we chat on the Ballydoyle gallops.

"If you talk to them and they're used to being spoken to, they pick up on words and really respond. 

"Obviously, horses can't talk back to you in sound, but actions will speak greater than words. We get a lot of feedback from reactions."

Asked about being a horse whisperer, he switches quickly to his praise-everyone-but-yourself mode with which, having followed him for two decades, I am very familiar. 

He said: "We have some unbelievably gifted, special people here, and all the people around us have that gift - we feel very privileged to have those people with us." 

I'm not sure I've ever heard him take any credit himself for anything that's happened. 

That's always deflected onto "the lads" - Coolmore partners John Magnier, Michael Tabor and Derrick Smith - for their immaculate planning of both races and the matings of their bloodstock; and on to the teamwork of the people at Ballydoyle and at Coolmore Stud. 

And on to the horses themselves, of course.

O'Brien insists he and his family just count themselves fortunate to be part of a successful story.

But former champion rider Kieren Fallon, who was number one jockey at Ballydoyle for three seasons from 2005, says O'Brien is being too modest.

Fallon, whose autobiography included a chapter about O'Brien titled 'The God of Horses', told me his former boss could make a troublesome horse as quiet as a mouse. 

He said: "Scorpion was a very difficult horse, very boisterous, and I remember saying to Aidan at The Curragh [racecourse] one-day, because the guy leading him up was all over the place, 'could you take him?' 

"He just put his hand on Scorpion and led him out, and he walked out like a mouse, and as soon as he let him go, he just took off with me. 

"Horses are very sensitive animals and when he's around them, they respect him… they're like lambs."

And O'Brien likes to experiment with gear..to get the ultimate response...

In last nights Coventry...ARIZONA simply had a straight bridle on...and what a grouse horse he is...

IMG_0759.JPG

• Like 3

Too true...and took a long time to wind up....as you say 3yo Classics in headlights!

By No Nay Never..leading Euro 2yo sire....a son of Scat Daddy...sire of triple crown winner Justify!

Incidently Ellis purchased a No Nay Never ex young Fastnet Rock mare for 130K

Hell be putting an extra wrap of cotton wool around as we speak!

8 hours ago, Thomass said:

Too true...and took a long time to wind up....as you say 3yo Classics in headlights!

By No Nay Never..leading Euro 2yo sire....a son of Scat Daddy...sire of triple crown winner Justify!

Incidently Ellis purchased a No Nay Never ex young Fastnet Rock mare for 130K

Hell be putting an extra wrap of cotton wool around as we speak!

Lovely colt. Might need a bit more time than they are suggesting. Still well bought I thought.

Wrong, I used it from the 'shock' perspective...

..that indeed moi was shocked that he could be a horth withperer...

...either from his physical movements...a true horth withperer...

...and also from the whithpering thweet nothings angle...

On 20/06/2019 at 10:54 PM, Thomass said:

Wrong, I used it from the 'shock' perspective...

..that indeed moi was shocked that he could be a horth withperer...

...either from his physical movements...a true horth withperer...

...and also from the whithpering thweet nothings angle...

You started your post with a verb (action), using to 2 question marks at the end which does not make sense.

• Like 1