Bit Of A Yarn

Welfare matters

Fred

NZTR recently sent owners an email detailing how they are addressing horse welfare matters -tracks, rails, ambulances, vetting, drug testing etc etc

But no mention of whip use -surely in this day and age it is disgusting to see jockeys bashing the living daylights out of a poor defenceless animal ?

As Monty Roberts said "Why should you punish them to make them do what they are supposed to LOVE doing ?"

NZTR of course encourage whip use by ruling how many times and how often the bash can be given -doubtless they will say they are restricting whip use but the reality is different. Their consent comes with the guidelines they issue. If your burgling partner shoots somebody you are equally guilty. They even beam it into living rooms around the country -look kiddies, look at that person smacking the poor horsey.

Smacking of children is not allowed -why should smacking of horses be encouraged.

• Champ Post 1

I agree with you 100%.

On Saturday my only bet was on Skarloey (at HB) which won, so obviously I was pleased watching in win, BUT in reality I wasn’t as I watched Jonathan Parkes thrash him all the way down the straight. 

Something has got to change an quickly before more damage is do to the industry I love. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Fred said:

NZTR recently sent owners an email detailing how they are addressing horse welfare matters -tracks, rails, ambulances, vetting, drug testing etc etc

But no mention of whip use -surely in this day and age it is disgusting to see jockeys bashing the living daylights out of a poor defenceless animal ?

As Monty Roberts said "Why should you punish them to make them do what they are supposed to LOVE doing ?"

NZTR of course encourage whip use by ruling how many times and how often the bash can be given -doubtless they will say they are restricting whip use but the reality is different. Their consent comes with the guidelines they issue. If your burgling partner shoots somebody you are equally guilty. They even beam it into living rooms around the country -look kiddies, look at that person smacking the poor horsey.

Smacking of children is not allowed -why should smacking of horses be encouraged.

Grate work...

So can you post the screen shot of the email please Fred?

Perhaps they can't count to 33 Parkes strikes...and they're oblivious to the math of it all?

5 hours ago, Thomass said:

Grate work...

So can you post the screen shot of the email please Fred?

Perhaps they can't count to 33 Parkes strikes...and they're oblivious to the math of it all?

Beyond my ken -send me your email and I will forward