Bit Of A Yarn

Fastnet Filly Tops Karaka

• Journalists

Mongolian Beauty (Aus) (Fastnet Rock {Aus}) (lot 371) took centre stage during the second and final day of the NZB Karaka May Sale, when selling for a sale-topping NZ$180,000 to Andrew Williams Bloodstock for Sir Patrick Hogan. From the Curraghmore consignment on behalf of Brendan and Jo Lindsay, the new proprietors of Cambridge Stud, the two-time winner is out of the Irish MGSP mare Amazing Beauty (Ire) (Galileo {Ire}) and is a full-sister to G2 Hawke’s Bay Guineas hero Mongolian Falcon (Aus). Her third dam is champion US juvenile filly Phone Chatter (Phone Trick). She is in foal to Cambridge sire Tavistock (NZ) (Montjeu {Ire}).

“I’m pretty passionate about the [Eight Carat {GB}] family,” Sir Patrick Hogan, who sold Cambridge to the Lindsays said. “I’ve had a bit of luck with it, and done well with it, so I’m very happy to be able to buy her back. Depending on whether her foal is a colt, it will likely head back to Karaka at some time.”

Overall, the sale grossed NZ$5,333,100 for 345 (74%) sold from 526 catalogued. The average rose to NZ$15,458 (+5.4%) and the median was NZ$8,000 (+60%).

“There was strong demand for broodmares, particularly those in foal to freshman sires, which countered the softening of the pinhook market seen on the first day of selling,” NZB’s Sales Manager Danny Rolston commented.

View the full article