Bit Of A Yarn

Quip Confirmed for Preakness; Good Magic On Fence

• Journalists

WinStar Farm, China Horse Club International and SF Racing’s ‘TDN Rising Star’ and GII Tampa Bay Derby winner Quip (Distorted Humor), whose connections passed on a start in the GI Kentucky Derby, is heading to the GI Preakness S. May 19, WinStar president and CEO Elliott Walden confirmed Tuesday. The colt had previously been scheduled to make his next start in the second jewel of the Triple Crown, but uncertainty crept in after his connections won the Derby with fellow ‘Rising Star’ Justify (Scat Daddy).

“He deserves the opportunity,” Walden told the Pimlico notes team. “We purposely skipped the Derby pointing for the Preakness. We looked at it at that time and asked the question, if we did win the Derby, would we still run Quip in the Preakness? We all kind of answered, ‘Yes.’ But I wanted to take a fresh look at it after the race and make sure.”

Meanwhile, e Five Racing Thoroughbreds’ champion and Derby runner-up Good Magic (Curlin)’s status for the Preakness remains up in the air, with trainer Chad Brown saying “I’m not sure” when asked about his plans. Brown added that there was no pressure to make a quick decision, while e Five’s Bob Edwards said that he would defer to Brown’s expertise.

“Chad is one of the best guys in placing horses in spots where you’re going to get in the money or win,” Edwards said. “He wants this horse to win and he’s going to put this horse in the best position to win.”

Good Magic was shipped from Louisville to Brown’s barn at Belmont Park Monday and will go back to the track for training Wednesday.

Justify had a routine walk day Tuesday at Churchill Downs, which Bob Baffert assistant Jimmy Barnes said would likely be replicated Wednesday.

“Justify is going to walk one more day, I believe,” Barnes said of the Derby champ’s expected return to the track for training Thursday. “That’s what Bob said. He may change his mind and go tomorrow. But he said we’re probably going to walk four days.”

D. Wayne Lukas will have a two-pronged challenge for Justify in the Preakness with Derby sixth-place runner Bravazo (Awesome Again) and Grade I-winning ‘Rising Star’ Sporting Chance (Tiznow), who was fourth in Saturday’s GIII Pat Day Mile S. Both colts had a walk day Tuesday and will resume training Wednesday at Churchill Downs before vanning to Pimlico Monday. Lukas last captured the Preakness with Oxbow (Awesome Again) in 2013.

“They’re doing great,” Lukas said. “They are both bright and were out there on the grass [grazing] full of themselves. Realistically, it’s Justify’s race to lose, just that simple. He’s the best horse. Not always [does] the best horse win in the Kentucky Derby, and this year the best horse won. To go into Baltimore and take him back on is definitely going to be a challenge. I’ll never be afraid, but I’m realistic enough to know he’ll be very difficult to beat. But you can’t mail it in. They run and things happen. We’ve been there before. I mean, Oxbow wasn’t supposed to beat those horses either, and he did.”

Other horses under consideration for the Preakness are G M B Racing’s Lone Sailor (Majestic Warrior), who was eighth in the Derby, Cash is King, D.J. Stable and LC Racing’s Diamond King (Quality Road), Winchell Thoroughbreds’ Tenfold (Curlin) and Valene Farm’s Givemeaminit (Star Guitar).

View the full article