Liam Birchley to step aside from training

Chief Stipe

Liam Birchley. Photo: Steve Hart.
Clinton Payne
Article Author
Clinton Payne

Controversial Queensland trainer Liam Birchley will move away from training from next Monday.

The Queensland-based conditioner is currently plying his trade under a stay of proceedings, pending the outcome of an ongoing appeal against raceday treatment charges in Victoria.

Birchley was given a one year ban for his alleged involvement in the Aquanita scandal before appealing the ban at the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal with evidence taken in December last year and closing arguments from defence counsel and Racing Victoria in March.

But on Tuesday, Birchley issued a press release to his owners stating “some upcoming changes at LB Racing, commencing on Monday the 30th of September 2019”.

“After 30 plus years of training, I will take on a new role which is focused on developing our Archer Park spelling and training complex,” the release said.

“This will also give me more time to devote to bloodstock selection, whether it be weanlings, yearlings or tried horses.”

“Archer Park Racing Pty Ltd will be responsible for managing all horses that are currently being trained by myself at LB Racing, and the horses will be trained by either Toby and Trent Edmonds or Chris Munce.”

Racenet believes the backers of Archer Park Racing Pty Ltd made the decision to stand Birchley aside as their trainer due to his ban on running horses in NSW and the affect the Aquanita affair has had on the business.

“By placing the horses with Toby, Trent and Chris we will also be able to race our horses in NSW and take advantage of the increased prizemoney that is on offer there as well as access the BOBS monies we have not been able to compete for over the last 20 months,” Birchley said in the release.

“I will analyse each horse individually to determine which trainer would be best suited to your horse's needs.

“I will also continue to have ongoing contact with the horses and trainers regarding the care, pre-training and recuperation between races.

“I would like to take the opportunity to personally say "Thank You" to all of the owners that have stuck solid over the last 20 months.

“It has been a testing time for us all and your support has been unbelievable.”

• Like 1