Bit Of A Yarn

Beckford Still On Ascot Course

• Journalists

Last year’s G2 Railway S. winner Beckford (GB) (Bated Breath {GB}) remains on course for the G1 Commonwealth Cup at Royal Ascot. The 3-year-old, who was twice second in Group 1s at The Curragh last summer, was transferred to American-based Irishman Brendan Walsh from Gordon Elliott after running a credible fifth in last year’s GI Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Turf. Beckford returned a winner in the Listed William Walker S. going five furlongs at Churchill Downs two weeks ago (video).

“Beckford showed a great turn of foot and did everything right when winning on his debut for me last month,” said Walsh. “It was a bit of an adjustment for him, dropping back to five furlongs, and I think that he will improve a lot for the run.”

“He has taken to the American way of training like a duck to water and now we are going to take him back to Europe. I am really excited to be going back over there and am very much looking forward to it.”

Beckford also has an entry in the G1 Darley July Cup on July 14.

“The intention is to run him in the Commonwealth Cup at Royal Ascot and we will see what happens there before making any more plans. He’s a really athletic colt with a lovely mind, so I can’t see the undulations at Newmarket bothering him.”

View the full article