Bit Of A Yarn

Gosden Expects Strong Arc Challenge For Enable

Wandering Eyes

• Journalists

All eyes will be on Enable (GB) (Nathaniel {Ire}) as she attempts to make history as the first treble winner of the G1 Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe on Oct. 6, but trainer John Gosden said the result is far from a foregone conclusion.

“This shaping up to be a proper Arc, which is what you want,” said the Newmarket conditioner. “She is a slightly silly price and that doesn’t reflect the quality of the opposition.”

Enable is a general 10-11, and Gosden said he considers 3-year-olds like Japan (Ire) (Galileo {Ire}) and Sottsass (Fr) (Siyouni {Fr})-as well as a pair of older rivals-in particular serious threats.

“Certainly Japan I’ve mentioned as a danger,” Gosden said. “I thought he was impressive the way he quickened in the Juddmonte International.

“The Prix du Jockey Club winner Sottsass I thought put in the best 3-year-old performance of the year with the way he quickened. They are mighty opponents those 3-year-old colts, getting weight.

“Then of course we see a horse [Ghaiyyath] run over a trip in Germany that he has been asking to run over for some time and absolutely destroyed the field [in the G1 Grosser Preis von Baden on Sept. 1]. A horse like him and Waldgeist, who we should not underestimate, and the 3-year-olds set a very high standard.”

Nonetheless, Gosden said Enable has been in good form since winning her 10th Group 1 in the Yorkshire Oaks on Aug. 22.

“She is doing nice, normal canters and is very content in herself,” the trainer said. “I think we have her mentally where we would like to have her. Come next week we will build her up to the Arc.”

Weather permitting, Enable will canter up Warren Hill during Newmarket’s Open Weekend on Sept. 22.

“That is the plan, to go up the gallops on the open morning unless it is raining like it did last year,” Gosden said. “I hope she is there on the open morning doing a canter up Warren Hill.

“She has been a pleasure to train from the early days and you are very lucky when you get a filly of that quality in the place.”

avw.php?zoneid=45&cb=67700179&n=af62659d

The post Gosden Expects Strong Arc Challenge For Enable appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

View the full article