Bit Of A Yarn

Stradivarius The Star on Friday

Wandering Eyes

• Journalists

There is not much that Stradivarius (Ire) (Sea the Stars {Ire}) has missing on his resume, but the G2 Doncaster Cup is one and that should be put to rights on Friday as Bjorn Nielsen’s beloved chestnut returns to Town Moor for the first time since finishing third in the 2017 G1 St Leger. That high-class effort in a particularly strong renewal of the oldest Classic is one of only two defeats in his last 13 starts with his exploits in garnering a pair of £1million Weatherbys Hamilton bonuses now well-documented. It is fortunate that his sporting owner-breeder wants to take in this prestigious affair, which does not feature in the bonus but which boasts a rich history in its own right. In the heady days of Le Moss (Ire) and Ardross (Ire), the Doncaster Cup was part of the stayers’ triple crown alongside the Ascot Gold Cup and Goodwood Cup and it would have been a shame had Stradivarius not headed in this direction.

Frankie Dettori commented, “I think the reason he’s running is because the horse is so well. John spoke to the owner and they’ve decided to let him take his chance. John has been away in America, but when he talked to Bjorn they decided it was a long wait until Ascot. I don’t know the exact conversation, but that’s what I’ve been told–that the horse is so well he’ll take his chance.”

While he could not be compared with Le Moss’s great rival Ardross, Dee Ex Bee (GB) (Farhh {GB}) has like the latter suffered three humbling defeats at the hands of his superior at Ascot, Goodwood and York and there is little prospect of him turning the tables here. Unlike Stradivarius, Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed Al Maktoum’s homebred was disappointing when conditions were ideal in his outing in the St Leger last October and it is now unequivocal truth that he is at least one notch below his lofty standard. “What is there to say? We’ve met him three times and come off worse every time,” trainer Mark Johnston said. “To be honest, we were not expecting him to come on to Doncaster. Two and a quarter miles gives us an extra quarter of a mile to play with, compared to York last time, but he beat us in the Ascot Gold Cup as well. There’s no reason to think Stradivarius has any chinks in his armour, unless he’s not at his best on the day.”

The card begins with the G3 JRA Sceptre S. for fillies and mares over seven furlongs and Meon Valley’s homebred 3-year-old Farzeen (GB) (Farhh {GB}) is the eyecatcher after two novice wins by a cumulative margin of 9 1/4 lengths at Redcar July 31 and Kempton Aug. 14. Owner-breeder Mark Weinfeld said, “We just don’t know how good she is yet. She couldn’t have been more impressive in winning her last two, so we thought we’d look for some black-type. We’ll see.”

Farzeen’s trainer Roger Varian also saddles Shadwell’s Aug. 23 York Convivial Maiden winner Molatham (GB) (Night of Thunder {Ire}) in the Listed Flying Scotsman S. later on the card. Only a neck behind the Hannon sensation Mums Tipple (Ire) (Foostepsinthesand {GB}) in Ascot’s Crocker Bulteel Maiden over six furlongs on debut July 26, he faces a small but select cast in the race once graced by Frankel (GB). It includes Rob Ferguson’s TDN Rising Star Visinari (Fr) (Dark Angel {Ire}), who looks to rebound after a tame fourth in the G2 Vintage S. at Goodwood July 30 and Angus Gold is aware of the task facing Molatham, “He won nicely at York and we hope he’s a smart horse, but he is very much a work in progress,” he commented. “We decided we’d step him up to a listed race next and hopefully this will tell us whether he could run in one of the bigger two-year-old races later in the year.”

The G2 Flying Childers S. for the fast 2-year-olds could be a match between A’Ali (Ire) (Society Rock {Ire}) and Alligator Alley (GB) (Kingman {GB}). The former was unable to carry forward the momentum he had gained in winning the June 20 G2 Norfolk S. at Royal Ascot and July 21 G2 Prix Robert Papin at Deauville when fifth in the G1 Prix Morny back at the latter venue Aug. 18 but this five-furlong trip is probably ideal. Alligator Alley was unlucky not to finish closer than a length second in the G3 Molecomb S. at Goodwood July 31, but made amends with a strong late surge to take York’s Listed Roses S. Aug. 24.

Thursday saw the final fields confirmed for Saturday’s two features, the G1 William Hill St Leger at Doncaster and Leopardstown’s G1 QIPCO Irish Champion S. There were no surprise absentees in either, with Khalid Abdullah’s unbeaten Aug. 21 G2 Great Voltigeur S. winner Logician (GB) (Frankel {GB}) met by a trio from Ballydoyle headed by TDN Rising Star Sir Dragonet (Ire) (Camelot {GB}). As expected, Ryan Moore is at Leopardstown for the ride on Magical (Ire) (Galileo {Ire}) in the main event and Hermosa (Ire) (Galileo {Ire}) in the G1 Coolmore Fastnet Rock Matron S. and a clutch of other Ballydoyle luminaries.

The May 8 G3 Chester Vase winner Sir Dragonet, who was fifth in the June 1 G1 Epsom Derby and fourth on his return in the 10-furlong G3 Royal Whip S. at The Curragh Aug. 16, will be partnered by Donnacha O’Brien and he said, “I ride him in all his work, he’s absolutely flying at home and gives you a very good feel. It’s always an unknown when they step up in trip, but he looks to have every chance of staying it–it’s an unknown for plenty in the race. I think Logician is a nice horse, but he’s going to have to improve to run to my level of form, being honest, and I think my lad is probably the one to beat.”

avw.php?zoneid=45&cb=67700179&n=af62659d

The post Stradivarius The Star on Friday appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

View the full article