Bit Of A Yarn

‘Bolt’ Confirmed as Preakness Candidate

• Journalists

Bolt d’Oro (Medaglia d’Oro), 12th in Saturday’s GI Kentucky Derby, is under consideration for a start in the GI Preakness S. at Pimlico May 19, owner/trainer Mick Ruis confirmed Thursday. The two-time Grade I winner galloped 1 1/2 miles at Keeneland Thursday morning.

“We’re going to see how he’s training up to it, and it doesn’t matter if Justify (Scat Daddy) runs or not. We know we’re going to have to run against him,” said Ruis. “If we feel we’re good to go in there, we’re going.”

Ruis said he received visual evidence that the son of Medaglia d’Oro’s first off-the-board finish was the result of a dislike for the sloppy, sealed racetrack at Churchill Downs Saturday. As such, Ruis said his colt would not run in the Preakness if the track comes up muddy or sloppy.

“Someone just sent me a Twitter photo of Justify and Bolt when they were next to each other,” Ruis said. “Justify is skipping over the track, pasterns up. Bolt’s [hooves], all the way below the pasterns, were just sucked into that track. Absolutely he didn’t like it. It would be like one running on the freeway and one running in sand.”

Ruis reported that Bolt d’Oro emerged from the experience otherwise unscathed, showing high energy levels in his time at Keeneland.

“He is doing really, really good–it doesn’t look like he even lost a pound,” Ruis said. “He’s really good and really happy. I’m glad I’m here at Keeneland, because our farm is only four miles away. It’s so mellow for him here. I couldn’t be happier. We’re going to try to make our residence in Kentucky.”

View the full article