Bit Of A Yarn

Famed Jockey TP Burns Dies

• Journalists

TP Burns, an equally astute jockey both on the flat and over jumps, has died aged 94, according to Racing Post. Burns delivered Vincent O’Brien his first Classic win when steering Ballymoss to victory in the 1957 Irish Derby, and Burns was also in the saddle when Ballymoss won the St Leger later that year. Burns won a total six Irish Classics and also took the 1957 Irish Champion S. aboard Gladness. He piloted nine Cheltenham festival winners.

Vincent O’Brien’s son, trainer Charlie O’Brien, paid tribute to Burns, telling Racing Post, “TP was an integral part of Ballydoyle for a large number of years and I know my father had the greatest respect for him and his opinion, and he loved having him around the place. He was very level-headed and he said things as they were, which is one of the reasons my father liked him so much.”

Burns also served as an assistant to trainer Dermot Weld, who added, “He was a wonderful man. An assistant trainer to me for a number of years, he was a gifted horseman and a brilliant rider.”

Burns’s funeral mass will take place on Wednesday at 11 a.m. in St Brigid’s Church, The Curragh, with burial in the Tynaclash Cemetery in Co. Wicklow.

View the full article