Bit Of A Yarn

Hammond Signs Off In Style

• Journalists

John Hammond, who announced in September that he would cease training at the end of 2019, saddled his final two runners at Deauville on Monday, signing off with a winner and a runner-up.

Team Valor International’s 5-year-old mare Nisreen (Ire) (Raven’s Pass) cruised to a three-length success in the Prix Vodkato in the hands of Maryline Eon, while Mansoun (Ire) (Dabirsim {Ger}), owned by Rebecca Philipps and Jim Paltridge, came within a head of providing a dream double when finishing with a late burst to take second behind Forbidden City (Fr) (Elusive City {Ire}).

“I thought he wasn’t going to get there, and I then I thought he was, and then he didn’t, but racing is full of short-head defeats,” said Hammond. “Today was the last day and obviously I’m very happy that they ran well and happy to have a winner. Both horses are owned by people who have had horses with me for a long time.”

Part of Hammond’s yard in Chantilly will be leased by Japanese trainer Hiroo Shimizu, who will now take charge of Nisreen and Mansoun among others already in training in the stable.

“The plan is for Nisreen to run in Dubai, probably in the Balanchine in February,” added Hammond of the six-time winner.

Following a stint as assistant to Andre Fabre, the English-born Hammond has been based in France throughout his 32-year training career, which included 23 Group 1 victories, most notably with the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe winners Suave Dancer and Montjeu (Ire). Among other projects, he will now become the European representative for the Australian-based syndicate OTI Racing.

He told TDN in September, “In the modern era, Terry Henderson of OTI was the first Australian to buy European stayers for Australia. They have had great success, being only a nose away from winning two Melbourne Cups but also winning the Caulfield Cup, Australian Derby and Victoria Derby. They have enjoyed racing success here in France and in the UK, and Terry and I have discussed the opportunities that exist by introducing Europeans to Australian racing where the prize-money, by our standards, is exceptional. I am looking forward to being associated with this growing part of the business.”

avw.php?zoneid=45&cb=67700179&n=af62659d

The post Hammond Signs Off In Style appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

View the full article