Bit Of A Yarn

Kingman Colt Boards the Derby Train in Hong Kong

Wandering Eyes

• Journalists

Trainer Tony Cruz told the Hong Kong Jockey Club’s David Morgan that European import Private Secretary (GB) (Kingman {GB}) had all the makings of a Hong Kong Derby horse and the colt did little to suggest the legendary conditioner was wrong in smoothly annexing his local debut Thursday evening at Happy Valley Racecourse. In landing the Class 2 Chai Wan Kok H. over 1650 metres, he was becoming the first winner from two Hong Kong runners for his very successful young sire.

Debuting off a mark of 87 as a 10-1 chance, Private Secretary landed close to the speed from gate one and enjoyed the run of the race beneath Vincent Ho. Sent through an opening at the inside with about a furlong and a half to race, he sealed the deal with a strong kick and held a one-length verdict at the wire (video).

“I’m not surprised, I know he’s got it,” Cruz said. “Drawn one today, I was expecting good results. In the future he’ll need further, he’ll go up to 2000 metres–I think he’s perfect for the Hong Kong Derby.”

Bred and raced by Denford Stud and trained in Europe by John Gosden, Private Secretary won three on the trot last year, culminating with a neck defeat of the talented Spanish Mission (Noble Mission {GB}) in Goodwood’s Listed Cocked Hat S. this past May. He was last seen finishing a well-beaten fourth behind Japan (GB) (Galileo {Ire}) and Bangkok (Ire) (Australia {GB}) in the G2 King Edward VII S. at Royal Ascot June 21.

Private Secretary is one of 94 winners and 17 black-type winners from the first two crops to race by Kingman, who will stand the 2020 breeding season for a fee of £150,000 SLF.

avw.php?zoneid=45&cb=67700179&n=af62659d

The post Kingman Colt Boards the Derby Train in Hong Kong appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

View the full article