NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Aaron Kuru

Guest CrossCodes

Guest CrossCodes

Maybe it looked worse on the television than it did, but the footage they showed of Aaron Kuru getting up from falling off Perry Mason and not even going to see if Shelley Houston was okay when she was only metres away from him and not moving on the track was not a good look, just appeared to walk away without a care in the world for her wellbeing. I hope that wasn't the case but that's certainly what appeared to occur looking at the front on shot they showed.

I hope she has pulled up okay from the fall.

I initially had the same thought however he had just got up from a fall and I wouldn't want to be standing in the firing line if there were horses still to come.  Plus there were people closer and ambulance staff on their way.  He wasn't as close as it may have seemed on the TV screen either.

I hope Shelley Houston is OK too.

Shelley Houston renews licence to overcome limited jumps jockey numbers

Jumps jockey Shelley Houston has renewed her licence.

John Selkirk

Jumps jockey Shelley Houston has renewed her licence.

Former top jumps jockey Shelley Houston has renewed her licence, but she won't be aboard her star performer this winter.

With a full stable in work at Cambridge, the 33-year-old will be restricting her riding opportunities and she's happy to leave her Australian-bound jumper Lucky Tonight in the premiership-winning hands of Michael Mitchell.  

"He'll ride him in the highweight at Pukekohe on Wednesday and at Ellerslie on Queen's Birthday – Michael gets on really well with the horse and he knows our plans so I'm not going to be taking him off," Houston said.

"We were looking at going to Warrnambool, but the tracks were still very good over there and the horse had a bit of a cold so there's a plane for him on June 12 and he'll have a trial over there first.

"He'll be a maiden steeplechaser and we'll aim him at the Grand National at the end of August. He's a brilliant jumper and much better suited to the big fences – he's probably too good a jumper for a hurdler.

"I've been excited about him ever since I got him from Donna Logan."

Successful twice on the flat, Lucky Tonight has a win and five placings from his eight starts over the smaller fences.

Meanwhile, Houston will make her comeback to the saddle this winter after giving riding away four years ago.

"I broke my collar bone again and had to have two operations," she said.

"I got my licence back last week – it's more for my own horses with the limited number of jumps jockeys around at the moment. I won't be taking many outside rides."

Houston, who has 25 horses in work, has ridden more than 100 winners.