Bit Of A Yarn

Mark Johnston Hit With Coronavirus

• Journalists

Mark Johnston, Britain’s winning-most trainer, is self-isolating at home in North Yorkshire after receiving a positive test for coronavirus.

The Scotsman told horseracingplanet.com that he began showing symptoms last Tuesday, and received a test on Wednesday after his symptoms had failed to subside.

“It started with a cough and I tried to play it down,” Johnston said. “I didn’t really think I had it but after four days my temperature was off the scale and then I had no choice but to accept it.”

“I didn’t really want any publicity because I didn’t want to make a meal of it,” he added. “I’ve been isolated since last Tuesday but other people are a lot worse off than I am; other people have bigger problems so you don’t want to blow it up.”

Johnston’s wife Deirdre told Racing Post that son and assistant trainer Charlie has been overseeing training.

“Everybody has been brilliant–the team is keeping everything going,” she said. “I just can’t wait for Mark to be well and get back to the horses. We just wish everybody else well and hope they don’t get this because it is not nice, and Mark’s not even as bad as the poor people who have to go into hospital.”

avw.php?zoneid=45&cb=67700179&n=af62659d

The post Mark Johnston Hit With Coronavirus appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

View the full article