Bit Of A Yarn

Covid-19 (ex Te Akau)

21 minutes ago, curious said:

They probably should stick to their knitting and leave the wagering stuff to someone who knows what they are doing.

They do largely don't they.  But they are not immune from swallowing the hook of BS are they?

For example how many of the population believe that we have one of the lowest rates (levels of infection per population) of Covid-19 in the world?  Australia is doing better.  I gave up counting when I got to 100.

As for leaving the "wagering stuff to someone who knows what they are doing" they can be excused for thinking that's what they had done.

4 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

For example how many of the population believe that we have one of the lowest rates of Covid-19 in the world?  Australia is doing better.

So if in your opinion, Australia has a lower rate, then does that preclude NZ having one of the lowest rates. Interesting analysis. 

I'd certainly say we have one of the lowest rates. My own view is that we have a lower rate than Australia, but that's my opinion.

7 minutes ago, mardigras said:

So if in your opinion, Australia has a lower rate, then does that preclude NZ having one of the lowest rates. Interesting analysis. 

I'd certainly say we have one of the lowest rates. My own view is that we have a lower rate than Australia, but that's my opinion.

I was working off the same stats as you.  Stats not opinion.  But then you are referring to the gradient are you not?

I misquoted Adern.  She said "We have amongst the lowest number of confirmed cases per 100,000 people in the world."  My bad.

15 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I was working off the same stats as you.  Stats not opinion.  But then you are referring to the gradient are you not?

I misquoted Adern.  She said "We have amongst the lowest number of confirmed cases per 100,000 people in the world."  My bad.

I wasn't working off stats.

But maybe you have now come to the view that what Ardern said is difficult to argue with - given it is subjective.

As I say, my opinion is that NZ has a lower case rate than Australia. Just as it is my opinion that Brazil has massively more cases than what has been officially reported.

Just like you could say that the case rate in Ireland is higher than some of its neighbours potentially due to a higher level of testing, which may also help reduce the death rate if those extra cases are not those presenting at hospital. All conjecture of course.

34 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

For example how many of the population believe that we have one of the lowest rates of Covid-19 in the world?  Australia is doing better.  I gave up counting when I got to 100.

It's not really a figure that I am that interested in, but do you mean confirmed cases per head of population? If so I'm one that believes we have one of the lowest. Don't we?

12 hours ago, curious said:

It's not really a figure that I am that interested in, but do you mean confirmed cases per head of population? If so I'm one that believes we have one of the lowest. Don't we?

No we don't.  152 countries have a lower number of recorded cases per head of population.  At last count there were about 198 countries so 75% of them are lower than NZ.

49 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

No we don't.  152 countries have a lower number of recorded cases per head of population.  At last count there were about 198 countries so 75% of them are lower than NZ.

How do you think NZ is stacking up in new cases over the last two weeks per million (since that comprises a fair amount of the lock down period). If we have a such a high rate overall as you suggest, is that still the case relative to the rest of the world for the last two weeks?

If it isn't, are you now suggesting just how good the lockdown has been in slowing down our case rate?

Do you think there is a link between testing rates and case rates?

Can you tell us how many countries with as high a testing rate per mil (as NZ has), that have a lower case rate per mil, than NZ?

Thanks, I look forward to your answers.

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

I haven't seen any answers to my questions, but I will answer the last one for you to save you working it out.

1 hour ago, mardigras said:

Can you tell us how many countries with as high a testing rate per mil (as NZ has), that have a lower case rate per mil, than NZ?

There are 31 countries with an equal or higher current testing rate per mil than NZ. One of those other 30 countries has a lower case rate per mil than what NZ has. (Greenland).

The are 51 countries with an equal or higher current test rate per mil than what 50% of the NZ rate is. Seven of those other 50 countries has a lower case rate per mil than what NZ has.

I haven't had time YET Mardigras.  The first 3 hours of my day are spent doing BAU chores on BOAY.  Today I slept in which is not surprising as I've been putting in some long hours.

My posts are generally leisure activity.

I will admit that they are coloured at the moment by personal experience.  Contrary to what you may have assumed I spent a few years working in the government side of Health and quite frankly it doesn't take much to get me pissed off with the faceless risk adverse bureaucrats that run the show.  

I'll get back to you in due course.

16 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I haven't had time YET Mardigras.  The first 3 hours of my day are spent doing BAU chores on BOAY.  Today I slept in which is not surprising as I've been putting in some long hours.

My posts are generally leisure activity.

I will admit that they are coloured at the moment by personal experience.  Contrary to what you may have assumed I spent a few years working in the government side of Health and quite frankly it doesn't take much to get me pissed off with the faceless risk adverse bureaucrats that run the show.  

I'll get back to you in due course.

No problem, as I say, I've provided the answer to my last question.