Bit Of A Yarn

Racing Community Remembers Bill Graves

• Journalists

In the hours following the news that highly respected horseman William E. “Bill” Graves passed away at the age of 70 in Lexington Wednesday, many members of the Thoroughbred community offered remembrances and reflections on the life and legacy of the long-time Fasig-Tipton senior vice president. Graves, who passed away after a short illness, died Wednesday with his family by his side, including his son Brian Graves, director of public sales for Gainesway Farm.

Visitation will be held at Kerr Brothers Funeral Home at 463 East Main Street in Lexington on Saturday, June 2, from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. ET. A celebration of life will be held at the sales pavilion at Fasig-Tipton in Lexington Monday, June 4 at 2:30 p.m. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance.

Below is a collection of reflections from friends, colleagues and other industry figures:

Why does it hurt so much?

I am sure many of you, like me, are asking that question. We lost a great horseman, mentor, cheerleader and friend. Bill enjoyed a great relationship with virtually everyone at Fasig-Tipton and everyone he met within the Thoroughbred industry. Each relationship was unique and different–varied from person to person. That is why it hurts so much. He cared about us. We cared about him.

Over the coming days, weeks and months, we will all suffer and grieve our loss. There is no “right way” or “right time” to grieve. The process is personal–what is important is that we all support and help each other during the difficult times.

I am comforted by the fact that Bill embraced life with great energy and passion for over 70 years. Although we all wish he had more time with us, he certainly had a profound impact on us and many others. We will cherish and share many wonderful memories and times in the coming days. We will support Brian and his family with all of our love. We have watched Brian grow from a 16-year-old teenager to a wonderful man and great father. Bill’s legacy will continue with Brian. In addition, Bill’s legacy will continue with each of us as he touched and shaped our lives.

Tomorrow we begin a different chapter at Fasig-Tipton. The company is SO MUCH stronger and better positioned than it was in March 1992 when he joined us. It is impossible to quantify the difference he made. He was so proud of the company and the people he worked with. We will honor him by continuing to work together and use the many lessons he taught us.

Thank you, Bill, for all you have done for me. I loved you like a brother and will miss you. –Boyd Browning

Bill Graves: Mentor and Legend

Strong words for sure, yet unlike so many opinions in this game, I think this one will be unanimous among the people around the world reading this today. Writing this is difficult, alternating between tears and smiles, but this man deserves the effort.

Bill loved balance. Horses, trees, dogs, art. Mikey, look at the neck on that filly. Gun barrel hind leg. Look at the head on that beautiful bastard. Look harder, there is a horse there. Echoes which will never go away for me and so many others.

He was a perfectionist in a good way. He wanted it just right. From the mane, to the bridle, to the perfect set up on a yearling stance. Presenting and selling horses was an art form to Bill, and he loved it so much when it all came together. If Bill Graves liked your horse, then you really thought you might have something.

It has been said, you judge a man by what he leaves behind. Billy, you win that one in a gallop. –Michael T. Levy

Bill Graves was the first true “hard boot” I met when I arrived in Lexington in 1982–except he had basically just arrived from Virginia himself and I’d never seen him be a hard man in dealing with life or people during all the years I’d come to know him as a mentor and pal. He always had a wink in his eye and smile on his face, but if he didn’t you knew he was reacting to something that was just wrong. His son Brian was about 10 years old when I first met him and everyone knew he was heading to the big time then, and his late wife Michelle was also a jewel. We have lost a sincere person, a great horseman, and a friend. Rest, Bill.  –Robert D. Fierro

View the full article