Bit Of A Yarn

Tenfold Tunes Up for Belmont

• Journalists

Winchell Thoroughbreds’ Tenfold (Curlin), a closing third to ‘TDN Rising Star’ Justify (Scat Daddy) in the GI Preakness S. May 19, turned in his final major work ahead of his rematch with that rival in next Saturday’s GI Belmont S. with a five-furlong move at Churchill Downs Saturday morning that was timed in 1:01.60 (video). Under the watchful eye of trainer Steve Asmussen, who sent out Tenfold’s sire to a narrow runner-up effort in the 2007 Belmont, the dark went in even early fractions of :12.60 and :25.20 before picking it up a bit to cover three furlongs in :37.20 and the half-mile in :49.20. He galloped out six panels in 1:15 flat and seven-eighths of a mile in 1:28.80, according to Churchill clocker John Nichols.

“We were three-quarters of a length from where we needed to be in the Preakness,” Asmussen said. “He’s lightly raced and his best races are ahead of him. I think he deserves the opportunity in the Belmont S. I have nothing but respect for the field, not just Justify. It’s a very respectable field with a lot of ability. I think Tenfold is very talented and getting better at the right time.”

WATCH: The progressive Tenfold works five furlongs Saturday at Churchill

View the full article