Bit Of A Yarn

Harness-Xpress worth signing up to? Are they on their last legs ...

Karrots

It looks like they maybe on their last legs. Apologies Harness-Xpress if I have that wrong.

Anyway due to that I was thinking, maybe I could sign up ... I do recall someone I know about a year ago, had a nice article written by G Knight for it, it was super special for them to have that acknowledgement & see their horse written about.

Is Harness-Xpress worth signing up to it?

Below is a blurb from them:

"If you don't use it you lose it. Harness Xpress is completely independent of HRNZ and churns out lots of original local content every week. We bypass most of the big races and big stables because those are covered the day of or after by HRNZ and we come out on a Thursday afternoon.
And we aren’t afraid to tackle the tricky subjects, either".

On 11/01/2021 at 9:04 PM, Karrots said:

It looks like they maybe on their last legs. Apologies Harness-Xpress if I have that wrong.

Anyway due to that I was thinking, maybe I could sign up ... I do recall someone I know about a year ago, had a nice article written by G Knight for it, it was super special for them to have that acknowledgement & see their horse written about.

Is Harness-Xpress worth signing up to it?

Below is a blurb from them:

"If you don't use it you lose it. Harness Xpress is completely independent of HRNZ and churns out lots of original local content every week. We bypass most of the big races and big stables because those are covered the day of or after by HRNZ and we come out on a Thursday afternoon.
And we aren’t afraid to tackle the tricky subjects, either".

Here's my 2c worth Karrots.  I was a foundation subscriber back in 2015. I found them to be generally very good and so was still with them in 2017 when they sold out to another (galloping-focused) publication, which subsequently folded. I can't remember the exact details now, but it was something along the lines of having 9 months left on my HE sub and getting in exchange 3 months of the galloping publication, on the grounds that the latter had a lot more material in it than HE (conveniently ignoring that I didn't actually want any of the extra material).

So having been skinned once, I've been reluctant to try again — "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me", and all that...  Embarrassingly, HE wasn't actually the first time. Back in the 90s I subscribed to a similar (if less impressive) harness publication that went belly-up. A refund of outstanding subs was promised, but never materialised, even after several reminders.

So I'd partly agree with JL. Well worth subscribing to — for as long as it actually stays afloat.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/13/2021 at 4:15 PM, Basil said:

Here's my 2c worth Karrots.  I was a foundation subscriber back in 2015. I found them to be generally very good and so was still with them in 2017 when they sold out to another (galloping-focused) publication, which subsequently folded. I can't remember the exact details now, but it was something along the lines of having 9 months left on my HE sub and getting in exchange 3 months of the galloping publication, on the grounds that the latter had a lot more material in it than HE (conveniently ignoring that I didn't actually want any of the extra material).

So having been skinned once, I've been reluctant to try again — "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me", and all that...  Embarrassingly, HE wasn't actually the first time. Back in the 90s I subscribed to a similar (if less impressive) harness publication that went belly-up. A refund of outstanding subs was promised, but never materialised, even after several reminders.

So I'd partly agree with JL. Well worth subscribing to — for as long as it actually stays afloat.

Still have not signed up as 1 of Basils comments kind of put me off.

I wonder if they could offer a thing, like pay per issue.

For example no name details needed, just a credit card and then a link received or emailed for the 1 issue. Then no risk if it for example folds

Could even charge 10 bucks for it. The 1 off charge.

I’m interested in reading the issue when it says “a successful northern trainer issues a stunning broadside at officialdom as he hands in his license, fed up”.

Guessing that is T Vince from the horse transfers. Shame it seems to me losing him. He seemed to support the junior races and amateur races etc.

On 1/13/2021 at 4:15 PM, Basil said:

Can sympathize - it's a very difficult market out there, racing media.
At least with Xpress there are no printing and distribution costs, unlike The Informant.

Was just thinking, wonder if it might be worth their while having a website if they don't already that has

* the headings to all their articles per issue & a link to click onto each. Then if anyone that doesn't subscribe wants to pay per article they want to read they could. Have to pay before it appears.

They could either have a set price per article or price it based on what they think they value of article is eg $1 - $10

They could also release a small number daily on website or even 1 per day, that way they get daily traffic to website. They could then get advertising money from website & also google ads similar to how BOAY works with ads that appear.

Got to think outside the square if times are tough these days 😁

Then also have the regular subscribers who receive the full weekly version.

The website could also promote up and coming articles and news.

1 hour ago, Karrots said:

Was just thinking, wonder if it might be worth their while having a website if they don't already that has

* the headings to all their articles per issue & a link to click onto each. Then if anyone that doesn't subscribe wants to pay per article they want to read they could. Have to pay before it appears.

They could either have a set price per article or price it based on what they think they value of article is eg $1 - $10

They could also release a small number daily on website or even 1 per day, that way they get daily traffic to website. They could then get advertising money from website & also google ads similar to how BOAY works with ads that appear.

Got to think outside the square if times are tough these days 😁

Then also have the regular subscribers who receive the full weekly version.

The website could also promote up and coming articles and news.

some harness racing crosswords ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

some harness racing crosswords ?

Oh I was hoping this maybe something constructive.

They could do Galahs idea, in introducing a sheriff type character too. Reporting on the naughty naughty. Drive up website views.