Bit Of A Yarn

A Serious Question...

Horace

More lessons for NZ?

Did Racing Victoria misread the play in their “nothing to see here” response to the breakdown of their Richard Laming case prosecution?

You will recall that RV were quick into speed telling us what wasn’t the reason – “false or misleading evidence”, but not telling us what it was and all would be ok and revealed as such in an independent inquiry via the Victorian Racing Integrity Board.

Well that body and the new Racing Integrity Commissioner Sean Carroll, basically put RV on notice last week in statements issued, and again RV wasn’t entirely clean in releasing them via normal media channels.

Why not?

"Accountability, transparency and public confidence in the integrity of racing mean that there must be full public disclosure of the steward's conduct including publication of details about the relevant actions and the disciplinary actions taken,” wrote VRIB chairman Jack Forrest.

The VRIB forwarded RV its proposed disciplinary action against the steward arising from “the steward’s conduct whilst giving evidence”.

Carroll wanted more information and documentation from RV, who have complied.

“Clearly, there is potential for damage to public and industry confidence in the integrity of the Victorian Racing Industry which demands independent assessment,” he said.

The steward?, in corporate speak is on “restricted duties”. I was informed stood down pending this inquiry.

You may recall this stems from a comment made by RV counsel Brendan Murphy at the hearing which led to its closure and charges dismissed.

“It would be a very dangerous to ignore the circumstances and it would put the tribunal ultimately, I would have thought, in a difficult position.”

In a recent Racenet column I quoted an RV source who defended their position but with a possible looming mea culpa. 

“There are clearly different versions of events, we have a certain set of facts and are satisfied with what we have said, but if it is found to get it wrong we will put our hands up and say so,” he told me.

And that is what the industry expects and seemingly will need to get reading the play in last week’s developments.

“RV has been and remains committed to making a detailed public statement at the conclusion of the review, including any action taken,” their statement said.

“The timing of this will be following the conclusion of RIC’s additional assessment of the matter.”