Bit Of A Yarn

New Consignors Anticipate NZB Ready to Run Sale – Pertab Racing

• Journalists

New Zealand Bloodstock’s Ready to Run Sale has delivered widespread name recognition and respect for a range of established consignors, and now a talented group of newcomers are keen to make a splash next month in their debut appearance at the world’s leading sale of two-year-olds.

Having already proven his horsemanship skills in a very different field as a rodeo rider, Kurtis Pertab will offer nine two-year-olds in his inaugural Ready to Run Sale draft in 2021. Sires represented in his quality selection include Tivaci, Sacred Falls (NZ), Burgundy (NZ) and Tarzino (NZ). 

“I’ve been around horses all my life and managed to have a bit of success as a rodeo rider, winning a national all-around title in 2020,” Pertab said.

“Since then I’ve started a new business, breaking in a few horses for people. Some of them wanted the horses to be pointed towards the Ready to Run Sale, and so having a draft heading for the Sale this year is just a flow-on effect from that.

“I really like the idea of selling horses, and my draft includes a couple of weanlings that I picked up last year for quite low prices, so I’m looking forward to seeing how everything goes.

“I think I’ve got a pretty nice draft, actually. It wasn’t the easiest at the Breeze Ups with the weather and track conditions that we had, but I’m really happy with the horses and how they’re going.

“I think that both of the Sacred Falls colts are really good types (Lots 58 and 89), and I like the Tivaci colt a lot too (Lot 5).

“I’ve also got two by Rageese (Lots 33 and 190) who are pretty sharp. Even though he’s not an established, commercial stallion at this stage, I’m hoping there’ll be a bit of interest in these two.

“I would like to make mention of my clients and those who have supported and entrusted me with their horses, bringing them through to the Ready to Run Sale. It’s a huge honour for me as I take that responsibility on board. Without them, I obviously wouldn’t have the fabulous draft I am taking to the Sale in November.”

View the full article