NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

TAB, Why Not Try This?

Portfolio

The idea is no doubt worthwhile from the position of trying to  engage punters - in light of the current model of NZ racing receiving all the revenue irrespective of where it is generated from.

But I worry about these things from an industry perspective. It would further attract punters to betting on off-shore events.  Whilst NZ racing currently enjoys all the fruits of betting wherever that event may take place, that may not always be the case.

If there is a move by the government to strip revenue from non NZ racing away from NZ racing, those punters may well be lost to NZ racing - and the revenue may well be as well.

In other countries where the operator has arrangements with the industry (like Australia), the revenue is not directly linked to the industry in this fashion. Many (me for one), question the rights of the NZ racing industry to income generated by way of betting that has little tangible relationship with NZ racing. 

I'd rather see such an initiative aimed at attracting punters to betting on NZ racing. Of course they have to fix up what they offer the punter here to be successful with that long term. But if we end up pushing all our punters to bet on non NZ racing and legislation changes to the point where the government takes all the revenue from non NZ racing and only gives the industry what it earns itself, we will have been the maker of our own destiny by giving our customers away to other areas.

• Like 1

The NZ Tab Aus Tabs and bookmakers are for recreational punters

Pro or big punters bet on Betfair or the Hong Kong tote

An example say the quinella pool in NZ had 6k I came along and boxed 3 horses in a quinella 10,000 times I would boost that quinella pool to 36,000 the tab then take out 20% that means 28,800 can be paid back to the punters so I would lose 1,200 before the race is even run

Its not that the big NZ punters don’t want to support their local product the fact is they can’t 

Take on the other hand the Hong Kong Tote holds 5 million in their quinella pool so if I box my 3 horses 10,000 times on the Hong Kong tote and the quinella pays $15 I can collect 150,000 and there’s still 4 million odd to pay out to the other successful punters

The only way NZ and Aus can get anywhere near this and to attract big punters to bet with the Tab is to merge all Aussie Tabs and the NZ Tab and have the one Australasian Tab then maybe and it’s a big maybe the pools might be big enough to attract some of the punters back

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

This could attract those punters to bet with the tab, on an option that aus dont provide.

Yeah they do.  Big6 on tab.com.au.  Today at Roehill pool was smaller than the early quaddie.  Not terminating, but you're better off with quaddies.

6 minutes ago, Ghost said:

The NZ Tab Aus Tabs and bookmakers are for recreational punters

Pro or big punters bet on Betfair or the Hong Kong tote

An example say the quinella pool in NZ had 6k I came along and boxed 3 horses in a quinella 10,000 times I would boost that quinella pool to 36,000 the tab then take out 20% that means 28,800 can be paid back to the punters so I would lose 1,200 before the race is even run

Its not that the big NZ punters don’t want to support their local product the fact is they can’t 

Take on the other hand the Hong Kong Tote holds 5 million in their quinella pool so if I box my 3 horses 10,000 times on the Hong Kong tote and the quinella pays $15 I can collect 150,000 and there’s still 4 million odd to pay out to the other successful punters

The only way NZ and Aus can get anywhere near this and to attract big punters to bet with the Tab is to merge all Aussie Tabs and the NZ Tab and have the one Australasian Tab then maybe and it’s a big maybe the pools might be big enough to attract some of the punters back

so whats the take out in hk

Under the NZ model, recreational punters are needed. But if the idea of a terminating pool through NZ TAB would work on Oz races, it should work on NZ races if they presented racing where punters felt the racing was conducive to betting. Fair track and application of the rules etc.

As Ghost suggests, TABs are mostly for recreational punters, but they are also a large part of the revenue element of racing here and in Australia. So the industries need them. But if you took the level of betting in NZ through the TAB over the last decade+, NZ Racing is incapable of punter retention. They saw that years ago. And what did they do - nothing but attempt to make it more so.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Prankster said:

Yeah they do.  Big6 on tab.com.au.  Today at Roehill pool was smaller than the early quaddie.  Not terminating, but you're better off with quaddies.

Ok, fair enough i didnt know that. Do none of the aus operators take the option? 

Anyway, if the nz tab ran a terminating pick 6 on aus racing, i reckon it would do well. Gaurantee $200k, would easily get to that amount, 

13 hours ago, Newmarket said:

Anyway, if the nz tab ran a terminating pick 6 on aus racing, i reckon it would do well. Gaurantee $200k, would easily get to that amount, 

You would have to take into account the amount you would loose from other pools and there's the argument that it lessens the churn amount while punters are still live.  If Australians could have NZ TAB accounts and bet on it then it might have some hope in getting the TAB some growth but I don't think they can.

• 1 month later...