Bit Of A Yarn

Damien Oliver steers Cascadian home in Peter Young Stakes

Wandering Eyes

• Journalists
079a5857-500x280.jpg079a5857.jpgCascadian (GB) ridden by Damien Oliver wins the Peter Young Stakes at Caulfield (George Sal/Racing Photos)

The James Cummings-trained Cascadian has taken out the Group 2 Peter Young Stakes (1800m) at Caulfield on Saturday afternoon.

The Godolphin galloper was second-up for the event after his third-placed effort in the Group 1 C.F. Orr Stakes (1400m) last start.

The odds-on favourite was given a lovely ride by jockey Damian Oliver who won this race for a record sixth time.

Oliver had the gelding third on the fence in the early part of the race, before finding clear galloping room and urged the seven-year-old passed the Chris Waller-trained Yonkers to score by half a length.

Oliver looked to be in a slightly awkward position on the race-favourite, but Godolphin stable representative Sean Keough didn’t mind the nervous watch.

“Look, I think when you come to race on a Saturday, if you don’t have any nervous moments, you’re in the wrong caper,” Keough told Racing.com.

“With that said, Olly got him in a lovely spot.”

Keough was confident with the gelding going forward this preparation, which could include a tilt at the Group 1 Australian Cup (2000m) at Flemington on March 12.

“There’s plenty more for this horse throughout his preparation.”

Oliver was conscious of the on-pace track bias that the previous races on the card had shown.

“He’s not the most brilliant gate horse, and I know that,” he stated.

“I wanted to be a little bit positive, but I didn’t want to take him out of his comfort zone.

“I thought I’d end up in the box-seat where I did, and then it was just a matter of getting out when I needed to.

“I was just relying on a little bit of luck.

“Once I was able to fade across their heels and get into the clear, I was quietly confident and he quickened nicely.”

Oliver was also optimistic about this preparation for the seven-year-old, who hadn’t won a race since last year’s Doncaster Mile at Randwick.

“He’s always been a really consistent performer. Often he can just find one better.”

“I think he’s a genuine horse. To me that was the best he’s felt to me there today.”

Cascadian is currently a $7 chance to take out this year’s Group 1 Australian Cup.

View the full article