Bit Of A Yarn

Perfect Power Will Go To The Guineas

• Journalists

Dual Group 1 winner Perfect Power (Ire) (Ardad {Ire}) has exited his victory in the G3 Greenham S. well and will contest the G1 QIPCO 2000 Guineas at Newmarket on Apr. 30. Sheikh Rashid Dalmook Al Maktoum's colt will be trying the one-mile distance for the first time in the first colts' Classic of the season.

“He's come out of Newbury remarkably well,” Perfect Power's trainer Richard Fahey told www.sportinglife.com. “He had a light canter this morning and just in himself he's bouncing. He's tightened up.

“I did feel there was improvement in him going into the Greenham. The last thing I wanted to do was have him 100%. It was a trial and I used it as a trial to see if there was a possibility of having a crack at the Guineas.

“It's just put him right. His demeanour is right, he came off the gallop having a jig-jog and a squeal which is where you want these racehorses to be. You want them to be happy and at the moment he's in a good place.

“As a trainer, when you have a dual Group 1-winning 2-year-old the question is have they trained on? That was the big question for me–is he just a wonder 2-year-old or is he going to mature into a better horse and I think it was one of his best performances–if not his best–at Newbury, knowing in the back of my mind it would put him right.

“It put him spot on for the Guineas. We can keep him ticking over and one blow-out and we're there. We're going to have a go at the Guineas. I've spoken to the team, I've spoken to Sheikh Rashid and we've nothing to lose by having a go.”

Perfect Power showcased his talent with a gritty win in the G2 Norfolk S. at Royal Ascot and added the G1 Prix Morny at Deauville in August, two starts on. He made it consecutive Group 1s with a half-length score in the G1 Middle Park S. over the Rowley Mile at the end of September and came off a 203-day break to take the Greenham. It was his first start beyond six furlongs.

He added, “He wasn't stopping in the Greenham, he galloped all the way through the line and took some pulling up. I think he'll be a better horse on Guineas day.

“I'm very excited about him. We know he handles the course, goes on any ground and is becoming a legend.”

avw.php?zoneid=45&cb=67700179&n=af62659d

The post Perfect Power Will Go To The Guineas appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

View the full article