Bit Of A Yarn

Numbers Up at TX Juvenile Sale

• Journalists

Tuesday’s Texas Thoroughbred Association 2-year-olds in training sale at Lone Star Park concluded with an increase in gross sales and a slight decrease in average compared to last year’s smaller catalogue. A total of 106 horses went through the ring and 84 sold compared to last year when 70 of the 93 head found new homes.

Gross sales this year totaled $2,161,900, up 15.4% from last year’s mark of $1,873,900. The average was $25,737, down 3.9% from last year’s $26,770, and the median slipped 18.2% from $16,000 to $13,100. The RNA rate was 20.8% compared to 24.7% last year.

“I was really pleased that we attracted a larger catalogue this year after last year’s successful sale, and it was great to see the average almost the same with a nice increase in the gross,” said Tim Boyce, sales director. “We had four horses sell for more than $100,000 with a Texas-bred, Louisiana-bred and two Kentucky-breds, so that shows the variety of quality offerings we had.”

A Louisiana-bred filly named Charlotte G (Bind) topped the sale with a $140,000 bid from Gary Simms, agent for M&M Racing. The April 30 foal was one of two horses to work a bullet :10 2/5 during Sunday’s under tack show at Lone Star. She is the first foal out of the unraced Summer Bird mare Promise Me G, whose family includes GSW Texas-bred Promise Me Silver (Silver City).

Full results are available at www.ttasales.com.

View the full article