Bit Of A Yarn

Tavistock debutant delivers

Wandering Eyes

• Journalists

Incoming AFL CEO Andrew Dillon has been waiting a long time to start his new job, but his mare Vengeance (NZ) (Tavistock) was not waiting for anyone at Gawler on Wednesday, posting an impressive debut win.

The daughter of Tavistock is trained by Michael Hickmott, who purchased her in partnership with Paul Willetts as a yearling out of Highden Park’s New Zealand Bloodstock draft, and was well found in the market off the back of some solid jumpouts, starting a $3.90 second favourite.

Hickmott shared a bit about the ownership group after the event, revealing that the horse actually races in the new footy boss’ silks.

“Tommy Heptinstall actually bred her with his Tavistock Syndicate, they were being joined by a big group of guys headed by Andrew Dillon,” he said.

“I believe these are his (Dillon’s) and Paul Birman’s colours and it’s my first horse with those guys.

“We’ve got a really good group of people in there … a huge amount of thanks to them for the patience they’ve shown.”

SA’s reigning metro champion Jake Toeroek had the four-year-old travelling sweetly in behind the leading contingent, which included race favourite Gadidae ($3.30).

Around the turn, Gadidae wandered just enough for a gap to appear and Vengeance quickened smartly, railing through and finding enough to hold off the fast-finishing Inagurate ($18).

Hickmott lauded Toeroek’s spot-on steer post-race and was pleased with how the mare conducted herself on her first race-day outing.

“Always great to have Jake Toeroek and riders like this on, obviously we try and use Jake when we can,” he said.

“Apart from the trials she’s only ever left my property three times, she’s come to the races very well educated to win first-up.

“She’s a credit to the system we’ve got going at the farm.”

Toeroek spoke about his goal to ride more winners on the provincial circuit this season, despite his premiership-winning 2022/23 campaign.

“I sort of wanted to keep consistent in the provincials as well as in town and it’s good to start the season with a bang,” he said.

“She’s a pretty smart mare, she jumped well and was a little bit keen early, I just tried to get her in behind and get her to switch off.

“I thought she was pretty brave; she took a tight run up the inside and probably needed a bit more time to get through her gears.

“But she still hit the line well and got the job done so there is improvement there.”

View the full article