• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies

Announcements

• The Curragh's Barronstown Stud Irish EBF Maiden that opened Saturday's rain-hit card is a race with a rich history and despite the failure of Ballydoyle's trio to make the frame there was no reason to believe this year's renewal was not up to scratch. Emerging best was the Aga Khan's Hazdann (Ire) (Night Of Thunder {Ire}–Hazmiyra {Ire}, by Pivotal {GB}), who had no space to express himself in the straight when a non-representative ninth in the seven-furlong Gowran Park maiden won by Ballydoyle's The Parthenon (Ire) (Kingman {GB}) 13 days earlier. Always travelled strongly behind the leader Green Impact (Ire) (Wootton Bassett {GB}) off the moderate early tempo, the Dermot Weld-trained 10-1 shot loomed large two out and after seizing the advantage soon after comfortably held that rival to score by a neck. “I was going to ride him forward, but he was very green going to post so I changed tack and opted to ride him in the box seat,” jockey Chris Hayes said. “We walked early and he quickened up and got there without realising and then had one ear cocked. He was badly hampered out of the gates at Gowran and Leigh [Roche] said every door was closed in his face so he looked after him. He appreciated this slower ground and I think he's got a nice future. Princess Zahra is here as well, so it's nice he won. I'd like to mix it from seven furlongs to a mile with him.” The post Night Of Thunder Colt Best in the Barronstown Maiden appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions. View the full article
    • Consistent five-year-old Rheinberg (NZ) (Swiss Ace) was back in the winner’s circle for the first time since October when running out a strong winner of the Sportsbet Race Replays Handicap (1440m) at Caulfield on Saturday. Prepared by Ben, Will and JD Hayes, the son of Swiss Ace has now won six of his 16 starts, with a further seven placings. Top jockey Mick Dee clicks with the gelding and has ridden Rheinberg to five of those victories, and crucially was back aboard for the first time since finishing second when resuming a new campaign back in March. Rheinberg was given every opportunity just behind the leaders and while runner-up St Lawrence (NZ) (Redwood) was pocketed upon straightening, the winner had first run and put the result beyond doubt. “I always keep an eye on him, because I have won a few on him now,” Dee said. “But due to me being in Adelaide or Queensland or wherever, I haven’t been able to be on him in recent runs. “It was good to get back on him today and it all worked out extremely well. He won quite comfortably. “We got a clean getaway and luckily enough were able to slot in with a bit of cover. Down the side I didn’t really want to be just sitting and waiting. On this track I wanted to let him build and go through his gears and he put the race to bed at the 400m. “I didn’t really hear anything coming too strongly and always felt like we had a decent margin. With him, I am always a bit hesitant to hit the front early. I had to today and I felt like he had more to give if something was to come and challenge.” Lindsay Park’s Ben Hayes said the smooth passage made all the difference to Rheinberg, who has been racing in great heart. “He has been racing well without winning and arguably would have gone close last start if he had got the gaps,” Hayes said. “Today it all just worked out. Michael was able to get in just behind the speed. He had no traffic at all and was strong through the line. He looks fantastic, is going really well and we couldn’t be happier. “ Both Rheinberg and St Lawrence commenced their careers in New Zealand, with the winner originally prepared at Matamata by Cody Cole, for whom he was placed in two of three starts. Like stable star Mr Brightside (NZ) (Bullbars), Rheinberg was sourced by bloodstock agent Wayne Ormond from New Zealand. Bred by Gerry Harvey, Rheinberg is by Westbury Stud stallion Swiss Ace, out of the Snitzel mare Schiffer, who won two races and finished third behind Karuta Queen (Not A Single Doubt) in the Magic Millions 2YO Classic (1200m). View the full article
    • Victorian raider Golden Path (NZ) (Belardo) has made it back-to-back victories in Sydney with a dominant victory in the Listed W J Mckell Cup (2000m) at Rosehill on Saturday. The Mick Price and Michael Kent Jnr-trained son of Belardo was stepping up a grade and handled the rise with ease.  Golden Path enjoyed a good run just behind the speed in fifth position throughout and was nursed around the home bend by jockey Chad Schofield. He then put his rivals to the sword to win by three and a half lengths from Touristic (Frankel), with Lord Ardmore (NZ) (Reliable Man) back in third. The Kiwi private purchase is raced by a syndicate headed by prominent owner Carl Holt, who was on hand to see the four-year-old gelding salute. “That was good,” Holt said. “The blinkers have made a big difference to him and the soft tracks he obviously likes and the team have done a great job with him. “Chad has got a lot of confidence riding him and it all measured up today. “That is the next level up for him – he has stepped up to a good level. He is getting his rating up so he can get into better races, so where to go next is a nice problem to have.” It was the fourth victory from 11 career starts for Golden Path, who has now amassed A$364,750 in prizemoney. “He is a good heavy track horse, a good 2000m horse,” winning trainer Mick Price said. “He got washed out last week and I didn’t think the 35 days between runs would worry a horse like him. “He has probably got to have the edge on him. He is a big rakish gelding and he was very well suited.” By Belardo, who previously shuttled to Haunui Farm, Golden Path is out of the winning Dubai Destination mare Golden Destination. Bred by the Wallace family’s Ardsley Stud, Golden Path was purchased for $35,000 from the 2021 Karaka Book 2 Yearling Sale by Pukekohe trainer Michael Rogers. After winning two of his three trials in New Zealand for Rogers, Golden Path was sold to clients of the Price-Kent team. View the full article
    • In-form mare Princess Rhaenys (Iffraaj) scored a narrow victory in the Listed Tattersall’s Gold Crown (2143m) at Eagle Farm on Saturday as the well-related daughter of Iffraaj scored a richly-deserved maiden stakes success. The Tony Gollan-trained six-year-old was sent out a well-supported $1.80 favourite with Blake Shinn in the saddle and despite not appreciating the slowly-run contest, was always within striking distance to wear down Deny Knowledge (Pride of Dubai), who set the tempo. Sporting the colours of Linda and Graham Huddy’s Peachester Lodge, Princess Rhaenys has now won six of her 26 starts, with a further nine placings, including a Group Three placing in the Pam O’Neill Stakes (1600m). Gollan was relieved to see the full sister to Gr.1 Australian Derby (2400m) hero Jon Snow (NZ) (Iffraaj) land a black-type success as she advanced her career prizemoney to A$584,150. “She’s so much better when she can get a more genuinely run race where she can really relax and get off the bridle and finish off,” Gollan said. “You could see early on that wasn’t going to be the case. She stepped really well and they just took an eternity to cross her. “I was really worried in the run to be perfectly honest, I like her better when she can get smothered up and relaxed and that never happened. “I was always worried about the leader (Deny Knowledge). When we eventually got her down it was a good result for the team. “She raced out of her best pattern unfortunately, but Blake summed it up well, he had no other option but to just get her to settle as good as he could. It’s great having these great jockeys like Blake Shinn on board, they get the job done for you.” By Iffraaj out of the O’Reilly mare Orinda (NZ), Princess Rhaenys was bred by the Hong Kong Breeders Club at Highview Stud. View the full article
    • Amberite fends off Caprice Des Dieux to score at Rosehill. Photo: Bradleyphotos.com.au Former Kiwi galloper Amberite continues to make a good impression since joining the stable of Mornington trainer Matt Laurie, with the son of Proisir trekking north to Sydney and winning at Rosehill on Saturday. The talented four-year-old has now won twice from three starts for Laurie, with a victory at Flemington in May before finishing runner-up to Foujita San at Caulfield earlier this month. The gelding had shown plenty of talent in New Zealand, collecting two wins and five placings for Matamata trainer Vicki Prendergast, including a seven-length triumph over subsequent Group 3 Manawatu Classic (2100m) winner Outovstock. Ridden by Regan Bayliss, Amberite led throughout and dug deep when challenged by runner-up Caprice Des Dieux, with Bright Red back in third. “He was able to lead in a very relaxed manner,” Laurie said. “He has a bit of fight, this horse. “Our initial plan was to run last week (at the abandoned Sydney meeting) and then go up to the Caloundra Cup (Listed, 2400m) but we won’t be doing that now. “I am leaning towards maybe pulling up now but there is a race at Randwick in two weeks. “I’ve only had him for three runs, he had a little bit of racing in New Zealand, and he looks like he’s at a point where we might be able to build his rating.” Laurie said he elected to keep the horse in Sydney through the week for the $160,000 contest, rather than a 2000m benchmark 78 back in Melbourne which was worth half the prize money. “We kept the horse in Sydney this week, he stayed with Gerald (Ryan) so we are thankful to him for helping me out. This is my first winner in Sydney, I’m happy to get that win,” Laurie said. From 20 starts, Amberite has now had four wins, six placings and $258,220 in stakes. He is still raced by his New Zealand owners and carries the red and black colours of the Bayly family – best known for the likes of Blue Denim, Eagle Eye, Lion Tamer and Harris Tweed, all owned by the late Phil Bayly. Amberite is one of six winners from six foals to race out of the Elusive Quality mare Elusive Elle, who is a half-sister to Group One winner Bonaria, along with stakes-winning mare Legally Bay, dam of Group One-winning sprinter and sire Merchant Navy. Bred by the Pike family’s V T W Breeding Company, Amberite was offered by Hallmark Stud in Book 1 of Karaka 2021 and was bought for $120,000. Horse racing news View the full article
  • Topics