Bit Of A Yarn

Did they pull the right rein with Imperatriz? Ominous Signs!

Chief Stipe

Ominous signs for Imperatriz rivals
www.racing.com
Imperatriz breaks her own track record over 1000m at The Valley. (Image: Racing Photos)

In an ominous sign for her rivals, Imperatriz has gone to a new level since her blistering Group 1 Moir Stakes (1000m) win at The Valley last month, according to assistant trainer Ben Gleeson.

The track record-breaking sprinting star had a look at Flemington on Tuesday morning in preparation for a likely tilt at the G1 Champions Sprint (1200m) and was ultra-impressive.

"She was fantastic," Gleeson said of the piece of work.

"It was a very smooth morning out there, Sans Doute led up Imperatriz … Imperatriz sat three to four lengths off her, I was standing in the clock tower and as they went past me Imperatriz just let rip.

"I haven't seen her work as impressive as that and she's put in some good gallops. We had a super morning out."

Mick Dee was in the saddle for the Flemington hit-out and was equally as impressed with the seven-time G1 winner's work.

"He was pretty chuffed I think with the way she worked … he's a man of simple words and he just said, 'Wow, she's going as good as I've known her to be'," Gleeson said.

"In the week-and-a-half since her win, she's really recovered well but she's come on plenty, she's now dappled up all over.

"I think we'll get to Cox Plate Day and she'll just look incredible. We'll take her to Moonee Valley on Tuesday for Breakfast With The Stars and give her one little hit-out there and she'll be spot on."

Despite lucrative offers, Te Akau and trainer Mark Walker opted to bypass The Everest and remain racing Imperatriz in Victoria, a move which will be more than justified if she can add another G1 win to her already daunting page.

3 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

Will have to deal with more than Asfoora and Uncommon James.I 'm pretty sure In Secret has won up the straight.

Draws can have a bearing at Flemington ,depending on track conds too.

Should be a good contest.

Aren't you getting ahead of yourself?  A race at Moonee Valley first called the Manikato Stakes.

56 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Aren't you getting ahead of yourself?  A race at Moonee Valley first called the Manikato Stakes.

No I'm not.The story....'The track record-breaking sprinting star had a look at Flemington on Tuesday morning in preparation for a likely tilt at the G1 Champions Sprint (1200m) and was ultra-impressive.

We know she's off to MV...a course she excells on.

Can anyone stop Imperatriz? | RACING.COM
www.racing.com
Imperatriz breaks her own track record over 1000m at The Valley. (Image: Racing Photos)

While Saturday’s Cox Plate continues to be an intriguing head-scratcher before the final field comes together on Tuesday morning, the day’s other Group 1 at The Valley, it seems, carries no such mystery.

The Kiwi star Imperatriz is marked the $1.60 favourite to take the $2 million Manikato Stakes (1200m) and her trainer Mark Walker could give her potential rivals little to look forward to just six days out from the sprint feature.

Everything is good with her, she hasn’t missed a beat,’’ Walker reported. I know our mare is really happy within herself and she’s fit and sound, that’s the main thing,’’ he said.

Imperatriz is unbeaten at The Valley, having won the G1 William Reid (1200m) last autumn before astonishing wins in the G2 McEwen Stakes (1000m) and G1 Moir Stakes (1000m) to start the spring.

WATCH: Imperatriz's last-start win in the Moir Stakes at The Valley

She seems to love that track and she’ll love getting back to that sort of trip (1200m), so we’re looking forward to it,’’ he said.

But Walker’s not taking it for granted.

We all know G1s are never easy to win, especially in Australia, so she’ll go there in great order and we’re expecting her to run well.’’

Imperatriz then progresses to the G1 Champions Sprint (1200m) at Flemington, where, if successful in both races, she would go to the paddock with the extraordinary record of 23 starts for 17 wins, nine at G1 level.

With Schillaci Stakes winner and Moir Stakes runner-up Asfoora likely to miss the Manikato, Imperatriz is at $1.60 with Sportsbet ahead of $9 chance Uncommon James, I A Me and Bella Nipotina.

This is called ...'getting ahead of yourself'...it'll probably  stop her.

'Imperatriz then progresses to the G1 Champions Sprint (1200m) at Flemington, where, if successful in both races, she would go to the paddock with the extraordinary record of 23 starts for 17 wins, nine at G1 level.'

Everest runners Buenos Noches and Overpass are down to run as well.

Couldn't afford to give Overpass too much of a start.

3 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

Nothing 'random' about my posts..absolutely on..topic.

You haven't responded to my Q about Imperatriz and its next 2 assignments.

Are you waiting for closer to the..race?🤪

Right so you're going to randomly name every horse in the field as a chance.  What's your early book?

47 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

So your back pedal is now not 'every horse'....it's about 4...name the 4!🙄

I said "you are GOING TO randomly name every horse in the race"!  I didn't say you had.

So you've got 5 days to name the rest of the field or your selected winner.

I'll make it easier for you - here are the nominations:

SATURDAY

GROUP 1 MANIKATO STAKES (1200m)
1 – ASFOORA
2 – BELLA NIPOTINA
3 – BUENOS NOCHES
4 – CHAIN OF LIGHTNING
5 – ESPIONA
6 – I AM ME
7 – I AM WAR
8 – IMPERATRIZ
9 – JIGSAW