Bit Of A Yarn

scratching penalties.

the galah

Can anyone explain how you get the inconsistencies in the scratching penalties.

Like today you had a couple stood down for 3 days then the rest for 5 days. Have the 3 day ones got vet certificates,but even if they have how do they come to the 3 day penalty.

Also i've noted sometimes there are horses nominating and accepting for 2 race meetings within 2 days,that are then scratched from the first race,given only a one day stand down ,then run the next day.Obviously there can't have been any vet issues.When the trainers have nominated for both meetings,the trainers must know that they have done that,like they surely just don't forget and then say to the stipes,hey i'm in another race in 2 days time,i don't know how that happened but i just need a 1 day stand down so i can start.Are they not abusing the system and getting away with it?Why should they be treated any different from someone who gets a 5 day penalty.

And if you say,no they aren't abusing the system,then ok,how about all trainers be told they will be treated the same if they nominate for 2 meetings in close proximatory and can scratch from which ever one they want and still start in the race they want?

I've followed the scratching penalties over some time,and there is no consistency to it all. Its got me beat how some are treated differrent to others. 

Edited by the galah

• 6 months later...
Posted (edited)

This is another subject where clearly theres inconsistenies regularly being applied.

Anyone who follows the scatching penalties must realise there is 1 rule somedays and another the next.

The use of exceptional circumstances is applied when they want to, but not always. Just depends whcih way the wind is blowing from my observations. Its a topic i've observed for a long time now.

The lastest example is millwood godess.

Its been scratched from tomorrows races yet has been accepted for the races on friday,drawn 1. i suppose the connections think it is more of a chance now its drawn 1.

So how is scratching because you have a better draw an exceptional circumstance.

Getting a good draw one day and not another is not an exceptional occurence. Its a farce to say it is.

And why can't it work in reverse. a trainer scatches on the friday to run on the wednesday because they have a better draw on wednesday. i've seen it before,same reason, but a different application of the rules normally applied.

Edited by the galah