Bit Of A Yarn

Spells of Love......comments

Walt

28 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Yes it was sad as Single Lord was a real gentleman of a horse.  Yes I think they both won races.  Shame as a Lordship horse of a good size, speed and temperament and out of a Bachelor Hanover mare he would have made a good sire.

I'm glad they were both able to show what they had. 

Bachelor Hanover was always seen as a huge plus in the bloodline. I must admit that for all these years I assumed Single Lord had gone on to be a sire and pass on his superb genes to future generations ...such a shame 

Don't bite at that Gammalite bait Walt, those ex North Islanders carry an inferiority complex their whole lives. They try and get the minor wins here and there and I just feel sorry for them. Heck even M Purdon saw the light and shifted down here.

The ones that don't move down here to harness racing central,  move to the land of ball & chain, fill all their animals up with all manner of concoctions, and then come over and beat us up, all legit of course , think Junior's Image & ( I won't mention My Lightening Blue, that'd get a reaction).

The beauty of Lord Module was "will he or won't he", but when he did, WOW. Saw him run the 1.54.9 TT on a cold night after the last race. Loop a New Brighton Cup field like they were standing still. Run away and hid in his NZ Cup.

But we concede that Gammalite was an exceptional sort of horse, so no hard feelings Gammalite.(just makes Popular Alm probably the best horse ever to put his head through a bridle) Popular Alm 15 - Gammalite 2

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

His quarter cracks caused him immense problems.

2 hours ago, Walt said:

They were a huge issue and it was a team effort to manage the best they could.

Terrible splits in the hoof . The Farrier did a great job with mushroom shoes and the like holding his hooves togeather virtually. Yes agreed that must of been seriously uncomfortable for the horse. The splits right up through the coronet so were never mending properly.

and being a fast horse too .. Lord Module probably put extra stress on them every run  more than the slow ones. 

Plenty of horses have tendon and splint issues that you have to work hard at to keep on top of  but hooves like LM's just a nightmare to deal with. Kiwi ingenuity helped a lot with the shoeing.

DSC03107.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/29/2023 at 10:29 AM, Gammalite said:

He's trotted to victory over the Oz superstar 'Scotch Notch' too Chief . you done some good training to pull that amazing feat off. 👍😆🍾

That very same hour in time....... old Wolfie was giving it to the Aussies as well . (in the 2nd photo) trying to knock off the legend.... Luckily it was just the 'Warm-up' night 2 weeks before the Grand Finals 🏆 🏆😎

DSC03102.JPG

DSC03103.JPG

Thought you'd enjoy this replay Gammalite.....McShane beating Scotch Notch who as you know was a superb trotter.  As usual, the decent kiwi trotters beat the Australian star trotters :) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Walt said:

Thought you'd enjoy this replay Gammalite.....McShane beating Scotch Notch who as you know was a superb trotter.  As usual, the decent kiwi trotters beat the Australian star trotters :) 

Very nice Walt . a great race for the trotters there BUT you forgot to put up the Grand Final race . this one was just a little heat 😎

I can see why you didn't though as Scotch Notch 🏆 would of been in the Winning Frame winning by many many lengths,  and the kiwi's were that far back that Graeme Lang had to organise a search party to go find them? .😋 😁🍾

1 hour ago, Gammalite said:

Very nice Walt . a great race for the trotters there BUT you forgot to put up the Grand Final race . this one was just a little heat 😎

I can see why you didn't though as Scotch Notch 🏆 would of been in the Winning Frame winning by many many lengths,  and the kiwi's were that far back that Graeme Lang had to organise a search party to go find them? .😋 😁🍾

Very conveniently forgot to put the final up Gammalite :) 

Scotch Notch was a ripper. I remember the 1983 Dominion Handicap. Turning in Basil Dean had two lengths on them. Then I started smiling when I saw my Sir Castleton coming quickly. My smile didn't last very long at all as Scotch Notch and Graeme Lang was finishing even faster.

His Interdominion final victory was just too easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9Xf2geviIU

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Walt said:

Then I started smiling when I saw my Sir Castleton coming quickly. My smile didn't last very long at all as Scotch Notch and Graeme Lang was finishing even faster.

Sir Castleton getting through the traffic from 4 back the fence,  here to get the Big Prize Walt. Tussle getting involved as well. 

He was a game little horse . here's a treat for you as he gathers in Scotch Notch to get you smiling again. 👍🏆

• Champ Post 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/11/2023 at 6:42 AM, Blackie said:

Agree with everything you say there Walt, LM, what an excitement machine, travel to see him run.
ps Kevin & Bonnie(& now Kelly) still doing the business at Tall Tree Stud 👌.

Another milkman.