Bit Of A Yarn

Wellington Cup memories at the Punters graveyard !

3 hours ago, Doomed said:

Track didn't look all that flash on TV.

As the Chief said "Stuff the horses".

I get a bit sick of this attitude.  Yes, let us put up with substandard facilities as we await funding.  It's okay that some of the box doors are insecure or take two people to open.  It's okay that there are not enough stalls for a trainer to get horses ready for 2 or 3 races in a row.  It's okay that the racing surface is clearly patchy maybe because the watering system now has to factor in housing very close to the track.

And it's all okay right across the country because we have these money sucking all weather tracks to save the day.  OMG, the real money sucking has not even started yet.

I have to wonder.  If the synthetic tracks are the way to go according to some on here, and the strathayr surface won't be used in winter, why didn't Ellerslie put an all weather track inside the strathayr?  Ellerslie could race all year round, week in and week out.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Special Agent said:

As the Chief said "Stuff the horses".

I get a bit sick of this attitude.  Yes, let us put up with substandard facilities as we await funding.  It's okay that some of the box doors are insecure or take two people to open.  It's okay that there are not enough stalls for a trainer to get horses ready for 2 or 3 races in a row.  It's okay that the racing surface is clearly patchy maybe because the watering system now has to factor in housing very close to the track.

And it's all okay right across the country because we have these money sucking all weather tracks to save the day.  OMG, the real money sucking has not even started yet.

I have to wonder.  If the synthetic tracks are the way to go according to some on here, and the strathayr surface won't be used in winter, why didn't Ellerslie put an all weather track inside the strathayr?  Ellerslie could race all year round, week in and week out.

To be fair who would want to have to travel to Auckland all the time, right surface in the wrong place imho.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/19/2024 at 12:53 PM, TAB For Ever said:

Some horses have repeatedly tried to win the Cup ......Waisake is one who has won race and ditto Leaderboard who won on heavy track last year.

I think outsider Bluey's Chance has placed before.

A while back in the halcyon days the top Canterbury horse Magnet Bay was 3 x times placed in race .As was the McKee horse Ebony Honour 3 x times placed.

Close but no cigar !

Ahhhh the memories !

Seems like posters yearning for a Bit of a yarn again , by bringing up the name Bonsai Pipeline ,a very good South Island stayer back in the day !

Yes , he contested the Melbourne Cup once , finished well back but it was a hot field with maybe Might and Power ,Doreimus etc  but he did snare a Group 2 staying race in Australia.

Twice he finished runner up in New Zealand Cup ,the second time carried 59 kg behind Sapio ...Mrs Kay who co-owns a promising Harness filly at present !

Southern stayer Magnet Bay features in the Yarn above as 3 x times place in Wellington Cup.One of those years The South could 'claim' the trifecta even tho Ed had moved north to Noel Eales after his earlier win from Beckett barn.

The Result was Ed , Bonsai Pipeline , Magnet Bay....the days when the South gave it a crack , they aimed at the big Northern Cups didn't curl up with a poor me attitude  and not only concede defeat but sit back and resent the opportunities being handed it.

At least 20 x horses bought at Karaka ,including sires like Shocking , Time Test etc so hopefully someone has fire in the belly !

Or will it be revert to just buying Northern rejects in the hope there a bit of juice left ?