Bit Of A Yarn

Lester ......

There's a few other cracker Lester quotes.

Jeremy Tree (trainer): I've got to speak to my old school, Lester, and tell them all I know about racing. What should I tell them?

Lester Piggott: Tell 'em you've got the flu

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

One more.

Sir Ivor was a narrow winner of the Washington International in 1968, the push-button colt getting home by three-quarters of a length, but the locals reckoned Piggott had made a good horse look bad by somehow disguising his brilliance. A quote in the Washington Post from an anonymous jockey ran “That was the worst ride I’ve ever seen” – and if you held that sort of opinion you’d be very keen to stay anonymous.

The following year Piggott rode Karabas to victory and, disdainful of the by-now awestruck US press corps, replied to the question “when did you think you had the race won?” with the astringent, dismissive “about three weeks ago when they rang up to ask me to ride it”.

He reportedly added "Now eff off".

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 2
  • Haha 1

There was a great doco I watched, back in the day, called 'the year of Sir Ivor'.

What a horse.

Didn't seem to have a great presence later as a stallion in the northern hemisphere but created a dynasty down here, through Sir Tristram, Zabeel,  and now Savabeel.

3 hours ago, Freda said:

There was a great doco I watched, back in the day, called 'the year of Sir Ivor'.

What a horse.

Didn't seem to have a great presence later as a stallion in the northern hemisphere but created a dynasty down here, through Sir Tristram, Zabeel,  and now Savabeel.

• Champ Post 1