Bit Of A Yarn

Can someone with better accountancy skills than me explain Entains take on this? ...

NZRacing

last year Entain reported as the NZ TAB assets totaling $138 million (£70m) - then in their 2023 Financial accounts they quote assets value as £1,208.7m  how does that work?

As for the £250m in Goodwill - please.

It's a wagering partnership agreement so why are Entain including the TAB assets in their financial accounts ? To make their overall financial position look better than what it is?  The NZ TAB must have included the assets below in their accounts also. I think they call it creative accounting.

1. For the purposes of UK LR 10.4.1 R, as at 31 January 2023, the assets of the entity subject to the strategic partnering arrangement had a gross asset value of approximately NZ$138m (approximately £70m1) and generated operating profits of NZ$16m (approximately £8m1) in the year ending 31 July 2022

TAB NZ selects Entain - 25yr strategic arrangement | Entain (entaingroup.com)

e1.jpg.9d76f001352e1e245321c754a3523162.jpg

Entain_Financial_Statements_2023.pdf (entaingroup.com)

Edited by NZRacing
  • Like 1

@NZRacing the billion pounds quoted as assets are largely Intangible Assets.  Intangible assets being things like brands, trademarks, copyright and even software.  The latter I would imagine wouldn't be much as they are leveraging off their Group software.  Perhaps one of the intangible assets is the monopoly license they have to trade in NZ given to them courtesy of the NZ Government.  That must be worth a fair amount.  It is intangible as it is only a license, not a physical asset and can't be traded.

• Like 2

Reminds me of an exercise I had to do during my MBA studies.  It was the analysis of annual accounts using a predictor formula based on key metrics in the reports.  Two of those metrics were the value of intangible assets and the other was employee shareholding.  If both were really high they were usually a sign that the company was essentially vapour waiting for the heat of a strong sun!

For exmaple if they have valued the license as an intangible license then the company has next to zero resell value.  Thinking about it a bit more though isn't the license ownership a bit murky?  Does TABNZ own it and just outsources the operations?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Contrary to what the Gallops guys think it was never just them.

a long winded reply..

Being brought up in chch 50,60,70,   I understand how big  the trots were here back then,  btw, a time the Working Class spent a lot on gambling and beer, gambling!  Addington was  Way bigger than Riccarton.   But, the honest truth is, the Clubs and the TAB  back when it started, early 50's,  both so clicked the ticket! I first saw it in person, 76, Boxing day at Awapuni,  after the last, in the Main Tote,  A large pile of banana box  sized, full of that days Takeout!! I think takeout was just under 20%,  in hindsight, that time was the end of the golden weather. The WC in NZ have been getting less,  When It started, it didn't matter who owned the TAB, as long as the technology worked! cash cow...  to now, I personally still love a day at the races! going tomorrow, take a fella who will be having his time ever to a Track! should be fun.

• Like 1

I starting reading the Entain accounts and my prior assumption seems correct regarding the valuation of the NZ intangible assets.  It would appear that the main intangible asset is the exclusive 25 yr NZ License.  From the report:

Intangible assets

Intangible assets acquired separately are capitalised at cost and those acquired as part of a business combination are capitalised separately from goodwill. The costs relating to internally generated intangible assets, principally software costs, are capitalised if the criteria for recognition as assets are met. Other expenditure is charged in the year in which the expenditure is incurred. Following initial recognition, intangible assets are carried at cost less any accumulated amortisation and any accumulated impairment losses.

The useful lives of these intangible assets are assessed to be either finite or indefinite. Indefinite lived assets are not amortised and are subject to an annual impairment review from the year of acquisition. Where amortisation is charged on assets with finite lives, this expense is taken to the consolidated income statement through the ‘operating expenses, depreciation and amortisation’ line item.

The useful lives applied to the Group’s intangible assets are as follows:

Exclusive New Zealand licence 25–year duration of licence

Other licences Lower of 15 years, or duration of licence Software – purchased & internally capitalised costs 2–15 years

Trademarks & brand names 10–25 years, or indefinite life Customer relationships 3–15 years

The useful lives of all intangible assets are reviewed at each financial period end. Impairment testing is performed annually for intangible assets which are not subject to systematic amortisation and where an indicator of impairment exists for all other intangible assets. An intangible asset is derecognised on disposal, with any gain or loss arising (calculated as the difference between the net disposal proceeds and the carrying amount of the item) included in the consolidated income statement in the year of disposal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Arguably paying 10% for a $2b asset was a good deal on Entain's part.  

from the slowlearnersclub!: so one can now buy shares in the TAB? or bet weather they will go up? :)

I would be Thankful if the Tracks, especially on the Big Day, presented Safe and True as... he wails into the wind.

• Like 1