NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Darren Weir Descision Released: Could be back training next year!

2 hours ago, The Centaur said:

This is a miscarriage of justice. Wrecking Weirs new business is vindictive and against legal principles. In fact its just laughable how so called intelligent legal  ****wits can be so stupid.

At least Weir's daughter's are primed to take over.  I guess they can't ban fireside chats or fatherly advice.

• 1 month later...

1 hour ago, The Centaur said:

At last the big guns coming out firing. The VRT (Victoria Tribunal) will get their comeuppance.

https://www.racing.com/news/2024-10-17/news-stewards-weir-lodges-supreme-court-appeal

Except the big guns here may prove to be the Supreme Court. Time will tell, but I don't see that he has much of a case myself.

On 3/09/2024 at 5:04 PM, Chief Stipe said:

At least Weir's daughter's are primed to take over.  I guess they can't ban fireside chats or fatherly advice.

Maybe there is a case for all trainers to be in a partnership. If Weir had been in partnership all that could have happened is he departed the partnership. All clients would have stayed in the stable.

Thats what happens when a lawyer in partnership is suspended and barred from practising. Why should there be any difference .....oh thats right lawyers are privileged.

19 hours ago, curious said:

I don't see that any double jeopardy exists. The current penalty relates to different charges. You can't commit two separate murders and claim double jeopardy for the second because you've served your time for the first.

I disagree.  The later charges are essentially the same as the first except in the latter there was "new" evidence.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I disagree.  The later charges are essentially the same as the first except in the latter there was "new" evidence.

they're different Chief. The first sentence of four years was for 'Possession' of the jiggers. Seems there must be a rule somewhere , where Licensed Trainers are not allowed them in their possession . I've seen them on farms though , along with electric fences too. 🤔

The 2nd charge is from actually using them said jiggers on 3 horses. (Video evidence is available I believe somehow) . now that is very damning.  and how did his accomplices get off so light. 

That's a much much  more serious charge?  IMO it is anyway. you've got 'proven deliberate animal cruelty' involved then. way more serious than just having the damn things. 

as far as 'possession' goes , I could have a cellar full of medieval torture devices. I might be a collector , but should I be charged with anything ? If I went to use them on someone then YES. But what's in my cellar should be my business if I don't. I accept that 'weapons' should be licensed. wonder if crossbows have to licensed?   It is interesting what you are allowed to possess.  now where's my afternoon stash I wonder 😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

That's a much much  more serious charge?  IMO it is anyway. you've got 'proven deliberate animal cruelty' involved then. way more serious than just having the damn things.

And punters, owners, jockeys, other trainers and the public image of the industry were all screwed. That's aside from the abhorrent cruelty involved. His penalty for these charges seems mild and has been substantially mitigated from the 10 years sought by stewards. Is he at risk here of the penalty being increased by the court? The very fact that he is challenging it makes it appear to me that he hasn't learned much.

Edited by curious
  • Champ Post 1