NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

How do you get a young horse ready without Turf trials in the Waikato?

What on earth is going to happen with the jumps fields ? Will they be split?

That's an uppercut for the notion that jumps should be phased out....a very definite positive vote.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

The Iconic Whyte Handicap......5 x noms ! 

Trentham is probably the place where tradition has gone out the door the most. Many of their big name races are just hack races now.

• Sad 1

Just thinking.  If they get more than 180 nominations for Avondale next week (at the course the administrators and @TAB For Ever don't want) will they schedule something somewhere else for those who can't start?

Second question - will they schedule another trial day on turf 14 days later?

7 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Just thinking.  If they get more than 180 nominations for Avondale next week (at the course the administrators and @TAB For Ever don't want) will they schedule something somewhere else for those who can't start?

Second question - will they schedule another trial day on turf 14 days later?

180 is a pretty good number for a trial day isn't it?

2 minutes ago, curious said:

180 is a pretty good number for a trial day isn't it?

Yes.  But it doesn't take a Rocket Surgeon to work out how many trials are needed when you count the number of horses in work at Cambridge and Matamata alone without counting the rest.

Only take an hour of phone calls once a week to work the numbers out.  But I guess they have a high tech solution available for low tech people to use.

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Yes.  But it doesn't take a Rocket Surgeon to work out how many trials are needed when you count the number of horses in work at Cambridge and Matamata alone without counting the rest.

Only take an hour of phone calls once a week to work the numbers out.  But I guess they have a high tech solution available for low tech people to use.

Why the infatuation with trials ?

Especially in June and  even moreso in July. Weather is lousy , tracks very muddy.....stay at home conditions.

As pointed out previously , many tracks now running regular jumpouts  and most of the big stables in north are big on jumpouts.

Those educating  rising

2 yr olds have no intention of racing before December at least ! The rising 3 yr olds seem to be getting plenty of jumpouts etc. My experience of late has been the horses have been well suited by the scheduling. Grass trials at Waipa last week , well attended , 40 x 2yr olds trialling on synthetic pre-races today ,Avondale next week for those who want there horses to endure a tortuous day in traffic ...into Te Rapa trials on Aug 6 . Te Akau expected to have 30 plus there that day !. Note that any 2 yr old races down for July struggling to get off ground.

July a bad month for racing.....usually too wet ,no drying . Synthetic a blessing in July !

Note the super trials track Foxton had to postpone their trials recently cos of rain and probably water table.

Mid to late August will see the spring stars stepping out ,tho famous Taupo meeting had poor numbers last year.

Show Gate and Grey Way probably never attended a trial between them.

Northern tracks starting to look better and better. Once Ellerslie and Te Aroha sorted the menu will be delicious. Something for everyone. Te Rapa looked good last week ,the jumps racing were spectacular. Ruakaka produced great footing . Matamata and Pukekohe improving all the time and getting well used. Tauranga and Rotorua good options for many. Taupo and Te Awamutu good for trials away from the City. Not so many horses heading for outside fence these days !

Future looks promising .

If Trials calendar and the risky staging of racemeeting held pre-mature in past is all we have to 'bang' on about ,things must be going pretty well !

Maybe spend some time on those key people who have control over the key ingredient.....the horses. After months of 5 horse jumps field I note there are jumps races this week with 30 plus nominations .Do trainers plan ahead or are they in lala land . Too busy looking for trials to train a winner and get a quick sale !

1 minute ago, TAB For Ever said:

Why the infatuation with trials ?

Especially in June and  even moreso in July. Weather is lousy , tracks very muddy.....stay at home conditions.

As pointed out previously , many tracks now running regular jumpouts  and most of the big stables in north are big on jumpouts.

Are you serious?  How long have you been in the game?

Offical trials are as close to a real race experience as you can get.  Jumpouts at most tracks fall short of that.  Yes marginally at some but not at most.  Trials also provide useful information for punters who at the end of the day we want to fund the game.  We fall well short of the latter at this stage of the new Entain funding regime.

5 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

2 yr olds have no intention of racing before December at least !

Not correct.  If you are aiming for your favourite race meeting the Karaka Millions you need race form by November.  The last winner was trialling in October.  Others in the race were trialling in August.  The previous years winner was trialling in September.  All on Turf on might add.

But it is the older horses that you want up and trialling early particularly the 3yr olds if you are aiming for those early black type races.  Some of those 3yr olds haven't had the experience of big 2yr old campaigns so early education is important.

11 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

Note that any 2 yr old races down for July struggling to get off ground.

July a bad month for racing.....usually too wet ,no drying . Synthetic a blessing in July !

Yes I agree 2yr old races will struggle in July on wet tracks.  But 2yr old trials won't.  Lets see how many go round at Avondale next week (trials cancelled on the Synthetic and transferred to the turf).  Bear in mind they are rising 3 yr olds getting ready for early spring campaigns.

17 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

Show Gate and Grey Way probably never attended a trial between them.

Really?  "Probably"!

18 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

Ruakaka produced great footing .

Then why take two very good race days off them next season?

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Are you serious?  How long have you been in the game?

Offical trials are as close to a real race experience as you can get.  Jumpouts at most tracks fall short of that.  Yes marginally at some but not at most.  Trials also provide useful information for punters who at the end of the day we want to fund the game.  We fall well short of the latter at this stage of the new Entain funding regime.

Not correct.  If you are aiming for your favourite race meeting the Karaka Millions you need race form by November.  The last winner was trialling in October.  Others in the race were trialling in August.  The previous years winner was trialling in September.  All on Turf on might add.

But it is the older horses that you want up and trialling early particularly the 3yr olds if you are aiming for those early black type races.  Some of those 3yr olds haven't had the experience of big 2yr old campaigns so early education is important.

Yes I agree 2yr old races will struggle in July on wet tracks.  But 2yr old trials won't.  Lets see how many go round at Avondale next week (trials cancelled on the Synthetic and transferred to the turf).  Bear in mind they are rising 3 yr olds getting ready for early spring campaigns.

Really?  "Probably"!

Then why take two very good race days off them next season?

Not one of your best efforts Chief .......focus on School Holidays !

Te Aroha Update & Venue/Date Changes

Following the transfer of the Sunday 7 July raceday, further testing of the Te Aroha track has identified the need for work to be completed at a deeper level into the profile, to ensure water is draining efficiently. The remedial work intends to assist the functionality of the surface to reach a level expected for winter racing.

A result of this work means that the scheduled Sunday 28 July raceday will be transferred, with racing due to commence at Te Aroha on Sunday 1 September.

The raceday on 28 July featuring two jumps races, will now be held at Waverley, with a revised program to be confirmed.

The scheduled Waverley meeting to be held on Wednesday 31 July will now be a Racing Tauranga meeting with a revised program to be confirmed.

• Haha 1

Looks like they are now having to move northern meetings to the CD because all the tracks up there are either stuffed or overused. Probably need to think about trialling your 3yo at Foxton?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, curious said:

Looks like they are now having to move northern meetings to the CD because all the tracks up there are either stuffed or overused. Probably need to think about trialling your 3yo at Foxton?

Then why the hell move Avondale to an absolutely stuffed Pukekohe?

What's worse is the dropping of two winter race dates from Ruakaka!!! One being the venue for the annual regional pub punting competition.  19 teams this year.

No doubt the spin merchant @TAB For Ever can tell us why!

Only very tenuously related to this thread, but saves starting another one. They really are terrible fields at Ruakaka, size wise, despite a good track and decent stakes. No ballots so you do wonder about the need for a points system to determine who gets a start. I think this meeting has had small fields for several years. 

Meanwhile at Trentham the biggest flat field is only 8 runners, not counting the cowboys race. So only 8 jockeys need to turn up. It is the first time I can recall all the jumping races on the day being bigger than all the flat races.

My question, and a very serious one, is do NZTR, Entain and the clubs get together after weekends like this one to discuss where things might be going wrong? Obviously it is no longer stakes that are the problem as both of these meetings have decent stakes given the time of year. Is it a programming problem or is it a general lack of horses? If it is either of those problems what if anything is being done about it? It isn't as if it has just suddenly occurred and taken everyone by surprise. And the tracks can hardly be blamed. I would suggest that both of these tracks will turn out exactly as everyone would have expected them to be rated this weekend.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Doomed said:

Is it a programming problem or is it a general lack of horses? If it is either of those problems what if anything is being done about it?

Maybe the programming is causing there to be less and less available horses as opportunities for them become more and more limited and owners give up?

Edited by curious

3 minutes ago, curious said:

Maybe the programming is causing there to be less and less available horses as opportunities for them become more and more limited?

I keep thinking back to the Otaki meeting on the Maori holiday, 10 races all with capacity fields and lots of ballots. So there are horses about, just not in the right classes. It is getting more like the trots where there are heaps of lower grade horses in certain areas, but try putting on a race for horses with 4 or more wins are there are no horses to be seen.

How much time and money did they just spend on the Te Aroha track. Now it needs deep drainage work to make it suitable for winter racing? What a f&^K up.

Edited by curious

Yes.   As I said in another conversation,  I've gotten over being angry and frustrated,  and aim to continue doing what I love doing, for now.

But I have to wonder how long before the penny drops in Dick St in Cambridge that they've fucked an industry?

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Freda said:

Yes.   As I said in another conversation,  I've gotten over being angry and frustrated,  and aim to continue doing what I love doing, for now.

But I have to wonder how long before the penny drops in Dick St in Cambridge that they've fucked an industry?

At least they are now living at an appropriate address.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Freda said:

Sadly Pam, I really don't think that will ever occur to them. I think there are enough sycophantic types telling NZTR what a wonderful job they are doing that they go home every weekend thinking they are best thing that ever happened to the NZ Racing industry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, curious said:

How much time and money did they just spend on the Te Aroha track. Now it needs deep drainage work to make it suitable for winter racing? What a f&^K up.

I sense there is some politics involved with Te Aroha.  However there is an irony - there was a few farmers involved.