NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

NZTR

The following is an excerpt from last weeks NZ thoroughbred breeders e-mail/bulletin to members.

'I’d like to draw attention to one particular page in the book and that is page 210, displaying the foal crop figures. In previous editions, we had displayed two sets of information, which led to some quite significant differences in the foal crop number. This is arguably the most referred to statistic worldwide when it comes to the size of a breeding industry, and this year I wanted to make sure we showed the most accurate statistic.

So, we have used the foal microchipping figure as the best representation of the foal crop, which overcomes the issue of underreporting through paperwork. Encouragingly, this has seen the figure plateau to a level of just over 3,000 for the last five seasons, as opposed to some other methods showing it having dipped well below this.

To make the statement that what we produce in terms of foals is ultimately what ends up on the racetrack is simplistic…but true. Field sizes are a vital metric in sustaining the wagering turnover at a level that will see industry returns able to carry on the current prizemoney levels beyond the five year minimum guarantee period.

The foal crop level we are at now is optimal, and getting back to levels seen in previous decades isn’t what is required. But maintaining this level is vital, and that’s why some of the things I’m involved with in the background currently are all aimed at helping in this way.

Breeders will also know that the paperwork side of doing things like mare returns and foal registrations are not as ‘user friendly’ as they should be right now. This is also true in things such as registration of owners on the racing side. The advancement of the NZTR computer system is something that is sorely needed. The abandonment of the SNS project - designed to radically improve this side of things - has been and gone, however myself and others continue to strongly advocate for the new solution to come quickly. One example of the need to do this is shown in the underreporting of the foal crop, caused in some way by the difficulty and time-consuming current paperwork process.'

NZTR have woefully under achieved for many years and finally we have the breeders publicly stating the systems in place for them are not fit for purpose. SNS was an ego project with $5 million spent and nothing to show. The chair is moving on but the executive behind this mess remain. 

My opinion is without a comprehensive cleanout of NZTR executive the Industry will continue to struggle to achieve. The new chair is from the breeding sector. Is this the beginning of the start of a new progressive era?

32 minutes ago, Wingman said:

The foal crop level we are at now is optimal, and getting back to levels seen in previous decades isn’t what is required.

Uh?  Doesn't that contradict their statement about the relationship between foal crop and field size?

33 minutes ago, Wingman said:

To make the statement that what we produce in terms of foals is ultimately what ends up on the racetrack is simplistic…but true. Field sizes are a vital metric in sustaining the wagering turnover at a level that will see industry returns able to carry on the current prizemoney levels beyond the five year minimum guarantee period.

If the foal crop is optimal why is it so difficult to fill fields?  Handicapping is an issue but it can't be the sole reason.

Also what about the % that is exported from this "optimal foal crop number"?  Has that increased or decreased.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Wingman said:

The abandonment of the SNS project - designed to radically improve this side of things - has been and gone, however myself and others continue to strongly advocate for the new solution to come quickly.

37 minutes ago, Wingman said:

NZTR have woefully under achieved for many years and finally we have the breeders publicly stating the systems in place for them are not fit for purpose. SNS was an ego project with $5 million spent and nothing to show. The chair is moving on but the executive behind this mess remain. 

It won't come a quickly as the departure of the failed multi-million dollar project architect - Cameron George!

11 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Uh?  Doesn't that contradict their statement about the relationship between foal crop and field size?

No. I think he is saying the current foal crop size is optimal for that isn't he?

25 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

If the foal crop is optimal why is it so difficult to fill fields?  Handicapping is an issue but it can't be the sole reason.

It's not difficult. Yes, it's partly a handicapping issue, but as I and many others have stated numerous times, the main issue is programming (including trials as you have noted elsewhere). Another year has gone by and there has again been no visible effort by NZTR to address this for the new season.

• Like 1

The main point here is there is continual pressure on the executive incumbents at NZTR. A decent clearing out is the only way we will see comprehensive action taken on pattern/programming and handicapping. I will steer clear of tracks on this post (for now) As Curious has stated above, another year passes and little change. I thought with the input from Entain re stakes there would have been a serious push from NZTR to look seriously at change. The calendar remains much of a muchness, the handicapping system does not work, yet next season apart from  the new fad, slot races, will look very similar to the last. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Wingman said:

The main point here is there is continual pressure on the executive incumbents at NZTR. A decent clearing out is the only way we will see comprehensive action taken on pattern/programming and handicapping. I will steer clear of tracks on this post (for now) As Curious has stated above, another year passes and little change. I thought with the input from Entain re stakes there would have been a serious push from NZTR to look seriously at change. The calendar remains much of a muchness, the handicapping system does not work, yet next season apart from  the new fad, slot races, will look very similar to the last. 

Yes, exactly Wingman. With no increase in stakes planned for the next 4 years and no improvement in racing opportunities because of the tracks, handicapping and programming in particular, more owners are likely to pull pin or reduce their commitment and that may mean the foal crop size in fact becomes more than optimal and will need to reduce. The only surprise to me in his comments is that he has not targeted the Members' Council which make the board appointments.

3 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Are you having a senior pedantic moment?

You've lost me. An optimal foal crop size is key to a viable breeding industry. Increasing it beyond that will affect the supply and demand putting downward pressure on sales prices, stud fees, broodmare values etc. Growth in the racing industry which might increase demand, is driven primarily by wagering growth, which as far as I can see isn't happening and NZTR are showing no signs of helping it.

10 minutes ago, curious said:

You've lost me. An optimal foal crop size is key to a viable breeding industry. Increasing it beyond that will affect the supply and demand putting downward pressure on sales prices, stud fees, broodmare values etc. Growth in the racing industry which might increase demand, is driven primarily by wagering growth, which as far as I can see isn't happening and NZTR are showing no signs of helping it.

But that's where the disconnect is.  Both parts of the wider racing industry are interlinked.  They need each other.  If Breeders dominate the decision making around slot races, handicapping and favour fillies then the industry suffers as a whole.  

• Like 3

Some interesting comments above. I'm surprised they think the current foal crop is optimal. NZ Racing did seem to be going much better 20 or 30 years ago when the foal crop was much higher.

I agree with the comment that field sizes are an important metric. I am staggered there has been very little comment about all of these 5 and 6 horse fields over recent months. Thinking that everything will come right with a slot race seems short-sighted at best, incredibly thick at worst.

Has anyone else noticed that there seems to be no correlation at all between stakes levels, field sizes, turnovers, profit margins and industry well being?  

I suppose stakes levels are a relatively easy thing to promote and measure, but when stakes are not related to profit margins in any sense like a normal business it is all a bit pointless really.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 3

At last, someone prepared to critique the NZTR management ethic other than we 'keyboard warriors'.   And, excellent summation, Wingman.

I am as surprised as the above poster that they think the current foal crop is 'optimal'.  We have the drop off in foal numbers from, say, 20 years ago, when things were going well [ or at least way better than now ]  and exacerbated with the loss of competitors through overseas sales.    But seemingly not factored in is the ever-increasing numbers which are sent to Australia to compete under local ownership.    

At a 'roadshow'  years ago, under the Purcell / Goodson administration, much was made of [ potentially] those very facts from the floor and the numbers bandied about were rubbished.  But they weren't wrong.  That same administration was handed some very good work outlining handicapping/programming matters that could have been tweaked even back then.  But ignored.

And the blasted paperwork referred to....have to agree wholeheartedly with the NZB guy.   The big stable/syndicate/owner operations have professional office staff.  But most smaller outfits don't.    A young trainer remarked to me only last week, it's just too hard.  I'd be happier training my own and not worrying about all the hoops we have to jump through.

Recently an overseas [senior] rider returned home overseas, with some apprentice funds still in his account.  He had applied online - with much difficulty -to have those funds transferred to his bank account.  Now I wasn't much help, he, like most young people can find his way around websites with ease, but even he battled with it.  Finally, we both checked everything as done OK and pressed ' submit'.

Nothing happened.  Phone calls went unanswered, finally I was told 'tell him to do it again, it must have timed out' .      But he couldn't.   Eventually I contacted an employee from NZTR whom I knew well, and she managed to do it herself, although it wasn't her area of work at all.  Just hopeless.

Without her assistance, this lad's money would have just remained sitting there.

The admin stuff - and staff - gets bigger and bigger, and the bits that matter are still unaddressed.

• Champ Post 3

Re handicapping in my view there should be no room for SWP races. They are an initiative by administrators who do not understand handicapping or gambling. The natural order from top to bottom is WFA, Open Handicaps, rating races, SW 2 and 3yo, SW maidens. The other area where administrators have lost the plot in the last decade or two is a fixation with the bling and glamour at the top and having no appreciation for grassroot racing. 

Most horses that win their first race find the next step up difficult, yet the current system immediately rates a maiden winner as R63. The argument is that the connections can decide if the next start in R65 is midweek or Saturday. (I am aware there is a sprinkling of R60 races in the calendar)

My rebuttal is there should be regular 1-2 win races, both midweek and Saturday at R60 level. The 1-2 win means the older dropback horses have to focus on R65 races. Three things are achieved here. One; an owner gets a reasonable chance of another win with a battling/fair horse. Two; A younger, potentially progressive horse doesn't get the stuffing knocked out of it next start and can develop confidence; Three, some excellent betting fields will be created. 

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

24 minutes ago, Wingman said:

My rebuttal is there should be regular 1-2 win races, both midweek and Saturday at R60 level. The 1-2 win means the older dropback horses have to focus on R65 races. Three things are achieved here. One; an owner gets a reasonable chance of another win with a battling/fair horse. Two; A younger, potentially progressive horse doesn't get the stuffing knocked out of it next start and can develop confidence; Three, some excellent betting fields will be created. 

An the optimal foal crop graduates stay racing longer.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Freda said:

At last, someone prepared to critique the NZTR management ethic other than we 'keyboard warriors'.   And, excellent summation, Wingman.

I am as surprised as the above poster that they think the current foal crop is 'optimal'.  We have the drop off in foal numbers from, say, 20 years ago, when things were going well [ or at least way better than now ]  and exacerbated with the loss of competitors through overseas sales.    But seemingly not factored in is the ever-increasing numbers which are sent to Australia to compete under local ownership.    

At a 'roadshow'  years ago, under the Purcell / Goodson administration, much was made of [ potentially] those very facts from the floor and the numbers bandied about were rubbished.  But they weren't wrong.  That same administration was handed some very good work outlining handicapping/programming matters that could have been tweaked even back then.  But ignored.

And the blasted paperwork referred to....have to agree wholeheartedly with the NZB guy.   The big stable/syndicate/owner operations have professional office staff.  But most smaller outfits don't.    A young trainer remarked to me only last week, it's just too hard.  I'd be happier training my own and not worrying about all the hoops we have to jump through.

Recently an overseas [senior] rider returned home overseas, with some apprentice funds still in his account.  He had applied online - with much difficulty -to have those funds transferred to his bank account.  Now I wasn't much help, he, like most young people can find his way around websites with ease, but even he battled with it.  Finally, we both checked everything as done OK and pressed ' submit'.

Nothing happened.  Phone calls went unanswered, finally I was told 'tell him to do it again, it must have timed out' .      But he couldn't.   Eventually I contacted an employee from NZTR whom I knew well, and she managed to do it herself, although it wasn't her area of work at all.  Just hopeless.

Without her assistance, this lad's money would have just remained sitting there.

The admin stuff - and staff - gets bigger and bigger, and the bits that matter are still unaddressed.

Speaking of which, NZTR just told me I could get my licence via either my google or apple wallet. What are they? Mine is leather.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, curious said:

Speaking of which, NZTR just told me I could get my licence via either my google or apple wallet. What are they? Mine is leather.

Yeah.

I managed with a lot of muttering....but never fear, for $30 you can get a plastic card like we used to.

I don't want to put extra apps on my phone, and am pissed that they think that's ok.

1 minute ago, Freda said:

Yeah.

I managed with a lot of muttering....but never fear, for $30 you can get a plastic card like we used to.

I don't want to put extra apps on my phone, and am pissed that they think that's ok.

I screenshot the blasted thing so it might not disappear.

50 minutes ago, Freda said:

Yeah.

I got as far as this message, but then thought what if I can't figure how to stop all that shit?

Pass providers can automatically add related passes, promotions, offers and more to your existing passes, which can be controlled on your device in Wallet settings.

I don't usually carry a phone on course any way, never when I'm working around horses, and if I'm betting, all my bets are placed before I go on course and the phone is usually in the car.