NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

GROUP ONE OVERLOAD.... ANY THOUGHTS...

Executioner

4 hours ago, Freda said:

The bit that particularly interested me was the bit about 'providing more revenue for lower grade racing '.

Our administration hasn't got to grips with that concept at all.

Exactly right, but they have understood that in Aus for years. I just can't see it happening quick enough here , his best line was NZ racing is currently under a "sugar hit" that really sums it up well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, curious said:

Correct. He did acknowledge however that there is a place and a rationale for these "aspirational" races. I agree. What was disappointing to me about the interview was when Messara said that some of the recommendations have not been implemented and mentioned the stakes distribution issue, Guerin didn't follow up with the standard interviewing question "what else?" hasn't been done. Instead he moved on to another topic. The recommendation to spend $90 million on infrastructure of the remaining tracks over the 6 years while other tracks were closed is certainly missing. Witness Hastings where they now are finally going to spend the money and do the job properly.

Too scared to mention the forthcoming land grab to pay for these upgrades you speak of.

28 minutes ago, Huey said:

I've been told many many things won't happen in the racing game over the years, I've learned to never say never.

Fair enough but this is not under NZ racing's control. The Asian Racing Federation lays down the rules and it's hard to see those changing in that direction.

Staying with the stealth theme, a really good comparison this season will be how the quality of one and two thousand guineas races stack up against KM. Some trainers are not going to CHCH so if they are not the strongest fields next month (I think 1000 guineas is under warning) there will be pressure to moving those two races north.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, curious said:

That was his recommendation. To use some of the assets of the closed tracks to fund the upgrades.

I am quite certain that when he recommended some tracks be sold off that he didn't realise how bad some of the major tracks were. I'm sure he had no idea that Hastings, Awapuni, Te Aroha etc would have to be closed for long periods, and that Ellerslie didn't want to race during the winter months any more, and that the AWTs would prove relatively unpopular with trainers.

In most industries they would take a break and reassess the situation if the original theories proved not to be working.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Doomed said:

I am quite certain that when he recommended some tracks be sold off that he didn't realise how bad some of the major tracks were. I'm sure he had no idea that Hastings, Awapuni, Te Aroha etc would have to be closed for long periods, and that Ellerslie didn't want to race during the winter months any more, and that the AWTs would prove relatively unpopular with trainers.

In most industries they would take a break and reassess the situation if the original theories proved not to be working.

The worse part of it all is that despite the work being done at these venues there is no guarantee that these venues are up to coping with their agenda, I'm a broken record but we need all the tracks we can get!