Bit Of A Yarn

Remember The Louisson Hcp

Newmarket

23 hours ago, Newmarket said:

Many will remember the cold nights in August on a Saturday night, watching the open class horses start their march to the NZ Cup. Don’t know about the rest of you, but for me, it was an exciting time. Here is the field in 1983, how good was it. 

38E71676-BDE9-4B39-B08F-96A442B0DA4D.jpeg

Yes fantastic field, always looked forward to the first open class races of the season when I was a youngster, couple of favs of mine apart from hands down, Mr woodchips, stortford lodge, amaze I think they were just under open class, but i always had $1ew on them. Amazing that hands down beat that field from 30m I don't think today's top horses could do that against a quality field.

• Like 1

Add in a few others racing around this time in the Sth Island, makes for a strong line up. Bonnies Chance, Armalight, Zabadak, Mai Mai, Sun Serker, Trojan, Remote, Dundas, Vita Man, Kind Nature, Trilobil, Cylarus, Quiet Win, False Regal, Diamond Moose, Agrinion. 

Wow, no wonder Sat night at Addington was chokka.

• Like 2

Trevira was a favourite of mine in this era.Always got the old man to put my bets on and remember taking a double and Trevira won first leg and had field covered in last,Roughie got up in 2nd leg and double was $300 odd .I was earning $60 a week so was decent collect back then

• Like 2

I suppose back then, had Easter racing at Addington, then nothing of note till August, which made that month something to look forward to. Never missed these meetings, was always an excited buzz around course. Loved the old windows, thinking you were a big punter at the $10 window, while a big queue formed at $1 window, then a guy beside you flashes notes at the $50 window!

On 26/04/2018 at 10:56 PM, Newmarket said:

Many will remember the cold nights in August on a Saturday night, watching the open class horses start their march to the NZ Cup. Don’t know about the rest of you, but for me, it was an exciting time. Here is the field in 1983, how good was it. 

38E71676-BDE9-4B39-B08F-96A442B0DA4D.jpeg

Trainers were trying different training styles around this time.  Some of the above older type trainers always started first race of season, while Armalight & Bonnies started later. Now nobody would give horse hard run 3 months before cup, used to suit hands down. 

• Like 1