Bit Of A Yarn

INFORMANT Closes

5 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

You are assuming that they didn't have deals with some industry stakeholders.  The retail network would have been a drag on costs and direct courier delivery a cheaper option.

However my understanding is that the biggest impediment to The Informant was the NZRB and NZTR.  Both used their leverage and dare I say it anti-competitive behaviour to force The Informant down.

It would be interesting if someone laid a complaint with the Commerce Commission for anti-competitive behaviour.

Its really hard for an independent outfit to publish these days. One of the factors not appreciated by many is that in the days of Friday Flash,Best Bets/Turf Digest,Sportsweek  shops, dairies would have advertising billboards, on the counter presence etc promoting the publication and indirectly racing.

Whether its NZTR or TAB they really must set up a separate media organisation for TV, Radio, Print and web. A $2.00  publication is the way to go.

1 hour ago, The Centaur said:

Its really hard for an independent outfit to publish these days. One of the factors not appreciated by many is that in the days of Friday Flash,Best Bets/Turf Digest,Sportsweek  shops, dairies would have advertising billboards, on the counter presence etc promoting the publication and indirectly racing.

Whether its NZTR or TAB they really must set up a separate media organisation for TV, Radio, Print and web. A $2.00  publication is the way to go.

same problem though C ..daily/nightly meetings involving the three codes makes it impossible to update form, print and distribute in the time available. I think a better way to do it is to establish a media organisation that includes PRINTED FORM for the weekend/premier/public holiday events and leave weekday form guide to online only. You cannot be all things to all people with such fast turnaround of fields.

The racing industry should have drived them out of business long ago by putting out rival content for free.

I am happy to see paid subscription models fail, the industry needs as much publicly available news as possible.

Imagine if every Winx article was paywalled!!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Weasel said:

same problem though C ..daily/nightly meetings involving the three codes makes it impossible to update form, print and distribute in the time available. I think a better way to do it is to establish a media organisation that includes PRINTED FORM for the weekend/premier/public holiday events and leave weekday form guide to online only. You cannot be all things to all people with such fast turnaround of fields.

Look we are on the same "page". THe Informant Form Supplement may be a work of art but just impractical. However some sort of printed fields are required but in a more on demand way that compliments online information. The racing media would function much better away from Racing Board control.

• Like 1