Bit Of A Yarn

Harness Turnover- Where are our stats??????

Brodie

This site has so much information that is worth reading.

I note under Racing News the Racing Board produces the statistics for the amount of turnover annually for both oncourse betting and Fixed odds for,GALLOPSwhich is very interesting HOWEVER

I have never seen the HARNESS TURNOVER for oncourse and fixed odds betting!

Is this shown anywhere does anyone know or is it a secret?

Would be very interesting to see these as I firmly believe that the TAB is heavily against punters investing on fixed odds harness wagering.

The opening odds are now totally pathetic to what they used to be for harness and hardly any value on anything nowadays, and fellow punters that I have spoken to are saying the same thing!

Many are not bothering now and I believe that the TAB are more than happy with situation as they are looking to continually improve the yield to the detriment of turnover.

They are hoping that the Paddy Power investment is going to pay off big time but they need to have punters prepared to offload and the way they are going I wouldn’t count on it!

Are others finding the odds getting more miserable especially the favourites when there are often 5 or 6 paying well under $2 for a place in big fields!

• Like 1

NZTR obtain the turnover data from NZRB

It used to be in the NZTR weekly bulletins online, but now it appears(sometimes) under Recent Publications  on their website.

Last one was April 1.  The Chief copied over the first couple, and I did the last one, but they seemed to have dropped back to their old ways unfortunately.

The body that governs Trotting, HRNZ, should have this data on a regular basis.

Why not drop them an email and ask them about publishing it on their website on a weekly basis

33 minutes ago, hesi said:

NZTR obtain the turnover data from NZRB

It used to be in the NZTR weekly bulletins online, but now it appears(sometimes) under Recent Publications  on their website.

Last one was April 1.  The Chief copied over the first couple, and I did the last one, but they seemed to have dropped back to their old ways unfortunately.

The body that governs Trotting, HRNZ, should have this data on a regular basis.

Why not drop them an email and ask them about publishing it on their website on a weekly basis

Probably give them a ring Hesi.

Would be interesting to know what the harness turnover is doing especially the amount that are taking on fixed odds!

Seems to be secret squirrel though.

Sports betting is where they want the money punted on as that is there biggest income apparently and costs them next to nothing!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Probably give them a ring Hesi.

Would be interesting to know what the harness turnover is doing especially the amount that are taking on fixed odds!

Seems to be secret squirrel though.

Sports betting is where they want the money punted on as that is there biggest income apparently and costs them next to nothing!

The data should really be available to anyone who is interested.

Curious knows all this stuff, but any FO betting has a lower profit and higher costs compared with tote

Tote betting has the highest profit, but is the one that is declining

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Brodie said:

This site has so much information that is worth reading.

I note under Racing News the Racing Board produces the statistics for the amount of turnover annually for both oncourse betting and Fixed odds for,GALLOPSwhich is very interesting HOWEVER

I have never seen the HARNESS TURNOVER for oncourse and fixed odds betting!

Is this shown anywhere does anyone know or is it a secret?

Would be very interesting to see these as I firmly believe that the TAB is heavily against punters investing on fixed odds harness wagering.

The opening odds are now totally pathetic to what they used to be for harness and hardly any value on anything nowadays, and fellow punters that I have spoken to are saying the same thing!

Many are not bothering now and I believe that the TAB are more than happy with situation as they are looking to continually improve the yield to the detriment of turnover.

They are hoping that the Paddy Power investment is going to pay off big time but they need to have punters prepared to offload and the way they are going I wouldn’t count on it!

Are others finding the odds getting more miserable especially the favourites when there are often 5 or 6 paying well under $2 for a place in big fields!

Good question Brodie.I too have noticed major shortening of the odds lately.

A lot of horses paying double figures on tote but only $7 or $8 on fixed.I concentate more on exotics now and Aussie gallops.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Richie said:

Good question Brodie.I too have noticed major shortening of the odds lately.

A lot of horses paying double figures on tote but only $7 or $8 on fixed.I concentate more on exotics now and Aussie gallops.

I personally don’t touch the Gallops, however I believe that it is harder now than ever to make money on the punt on harness.

The TAB has changed things dramatically over the past couple of years or so!

The tote odds are pretty hopeless when you have so many of the place divs being under $2 you aren’t going to make money.

The fixed odds system was fair and reasonable when it first came in but has now become a miserablefest.

Pathetic unders on opening and only lengthen out at the last moment so you have to be either oncourse or sitting at the TAB all night and that isn’t possible due to  many closing earlier.

Restrictions also play a major part and so it is hardly worth the effort nowadays.

As I have said many times the bosses think that by restrictions and pathetic unders they get the yields up on harness!

Yes it will but to the detriment of the industry as they are losing punters big time.

Run a business like this and they will go broke.

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1