Bit Of A Yarn

That's the way to do it..take note, Trackside TV

What a stark contrast it was ...Weigh In (NZ) and Thoroughbred Weekly (Oz) ...both shows reviewing the gallopers with emphasis on the feature races and personalities.

I marked them TW 10/10; WI 2/10 

TW: Energetic, concise, fast-moving. Insightful info from three very different but engaging personalities who clearly love what they do and know when and what to say, and how to say it. Great production values (eg edited content - i/vs with beaten jocks, etc) and Greg Radley is in a league of his own as the key continuity man, allowing the other two their 'heads' and taking control whenever needed.

WI: Dull, sluggish, lacking warmth, energy or obvious enjoyment of what they're there for. Little or no presence, charisma or spark from any of the three presenters. Sheldon Murtha is monotonous, boring, tentative and clearly lacks the confidence/knowledge to be a Radley.

Sadly, these two 'flagship TV shows are a mirror-image of the relative states of the industries:

Oz progressive, confident, up tempo, aspirational and high-achieving. NZ weak, depressed and depressing, unhappy, low-achieving and lacking even a hopeful attitude.

Come on, Trackside. LIFT YOUR GAME. Train your presenters to have poise and presence, do their homework and come on-air with smiles on their faces.

• Like 2

Did I hear Murtha say that Santa Ana Lane has always been close in Group 1's but never really got the job done? It was something along those lines and he was rightfully put into his place.

Happy to be proven wrong, but if you don't know basic information about the game, why are you hosting a show?

• Like 1