Bit Of A Yarn

An early Mother's Day pressie for Jess ...

On 12/05/2019 at 9:58 PM, jess said:

Ah bless for that message - my mother's day mustelid.

All I can do is look on.  I be thinking hard about where to head in the spring, but that lad be too pricey for my girls .... ?

mates of mine are seriously looking at Roaring Lion to put to their (Darci Brahma) mare.

Oh my - perhaps you are a well-heeled weasel.  Or at least yr mustelid mates are ?.  He's another who is outside my budget.

I need to spot the good `uns early while they are affordable ... I certainly haven't always got it right but have managed it a couple of times - in one case the horse's fee is now more than double what I paid and another was 6-7 times the fee the following season ... 

I've seen some nice weanlings from Tivaci & some decent types by the Auret horse Unusual Suspect in recent months.    

Any of the new horses catching your eye Weasel?  And Freda - any observations from a trainer's point of view seeing a range of horses from various sire lines as you would?

Kind regards, J 

4 hours ago, jess said:

Oh my - perhaps you are a well-heeled weasel.  Or at least yr mustelid mates are ?.  He's another who is outside my budget.

I need to spot the good `uns early while they are affordable ... I certainly haven't always got it right but have managed it a couple of times - in one case the horse's fee is now more than double what I paid and another was 6-7 times the fee the following season ... 

I've seen some nice weanlings from Tivaci & some decent types by the Auret horse Unusual Suspect in recent months.    

Any of the new horses catching your eye Weasel?  And Freda - any observations from a trainer's point of view seeing a range of horses from various sire lines as you would?

Kind regards, J 

I like Wrote

20 hours ago, jess said:

Kind regards, J 

Only from a Sth Island perspective, Jess....which is, of course, of little use to a Nth Island-based owner/breeder given travelling costs involved .

However, I have handled and observed stock by Pure Champion and they are lovely types, beautiful heads and outlook and nice temperaments.

Don't appear to be two year olds but we down here are waiting with hope and anticipation..!

On the slightly more proven side, White Robe's Ghibellines seems to be ticking the boxes, he's a beautiful horse himself too. 

Dealing with the Andertons is always a pleasure and they are very reasonable in their charges. 

A Nth Island based trainer friend of mine decided to retire his nice mare, which he had left in my care, and decided on the very reasonably-priced Gallant Guru as her consort. 

Shane Anderton picked her up in his truck from the races at Riccarton and took her south at no charge...that's service for you!

Agistment charges were also very reasonable indeed.