Bit Of A Yarn

S.I. Male Juniors! where the bloody hell are you???

Interesting to note and a wee bit perturbing that the Juniors race at Forbury on Thursday night has a field of 

11 runners and only 4 are male the other 7 are the other sex!

Great that female drivers are getting opportunities but surely it is a bit of a worry that there seems to now be 

a shortage of junior male drivers coming through the system!

The kid carts is possibly a big reason that there are now a lot more females working in harness stables and

driving!

Without the females in the junior ranks it would appear that many of the junior races in the S.I. May not run and we all know that there 

is a total shortage in the N.I.

Interesting times ahead.

9 hours ago, Brodie said:

11 runners and only 4 are male the other 7 are the other sex!

Great that female drivers are getting opportunities but surely it is a bit of a worry that there seems to now be 

a shortage of junior male drivers coming through the system!

Does it really matter?

Yes I believe it does!

If young blokes are not coming thru then the industry is going backwards.

You have to get the young ones coming thru as older ones will move on to grazing paddocks.

I would doubt that most of the young junior girls that we currently have will continue in the industry to any great degree once they are out of their junior days.

No money in it and they generally have a family

11 hours ago, Brodie said:

If young blokes are not coming thru then the industry is going backwards.

You have to get the young ones coming thru as older ones will move on to grazing paddocks

There will always be plenty of drivers. Need young trainers coming through but that is a much more complicated equation.

4 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

There will always be plenty of drivers. Need young trainers coming through but that is a much more complicated equation.

Reality is that it is getting harder and harder for the young ones without new owners.

As an owner the sums are so bad means less or nil horses therefore support proven trainers therefore they have themselves and preferred drivers .

Also girls love horses and happy to do the yards to climb the tree to get the boss to give them a go !

Guys still want to play rugby on Saturday plus practices  , party hard and chase skirt and miss the odd day with a hangover or turn up hungover and no use to anyone far more often than the pony girl who loves horses .

Girls love horses and $$$ is secondary. Boys love girls and having enough money to spend on girls and toys so 6-7 days a week for poor pay means let’s go and manual work for more $$$ 

So without the pony girl to stable hand to driver /rider to trainer the industry will have no succession .

• Like 1