Bit Of A Yarn

EHV here in NZ

Email from NZTBA ... I'm not sure if I'm reading too much into the bit I've highlighted in red or could it be that some farms were not as responsible as they should have been?

Confirmed cases of EHV-1

We have been notified of confirmed cases of Equine Herpesvirus-1 on several Lower North Island properties, causing abortion in mares. As we are at the height of the breeding season this is a timely reminder for all breeders to be vigilant on vaccination and quarantine practices.

I would like to acknowledge the responsible actions from one of the affected farms, who made the correct decision in notifying the NZTBA and subsequently the NZEHA, together with other affected parties so we are able to notify members promptly. This will enable breeders to be vigilant in management practices to avoid the spread of the virus.

We have some excellent information available on our website. Please can you take a moment to read the links below, and I strongly advise you to adopt the quarantine procedures recommended, especially when your mares are returning home from stud. We also strongly urge you to discuss your vaccination program and management of your mares going to and returning from stud with your veterinarian.

That's the way I'd interpret,  too,  Jess.

From a racing/training perspective,  I used to vaccinate 3 monthly,  the immunity conferred is very short-lived,  so my veterinary advice indicated.

But I have to admit that in recent years,    I haven't been as religious, every horse will have antibodies to EHV [ unlike back in the seventies,  when it appeared in a largely naive population - again, as I was told ].     It seems that there is little concern from a practical point of view about EHV infections in racing horses.  If there is,  I haven't been informed.

WRT the strain affecting breeders,  I have little experience with that - viruses are of course a very different animal from the bacterial infections,  i.e. strangles -  but it astounds me that many trainers,  when faced with a possible case of that,  close ranks, swear everyone to secrecy and keep it all quiet.  So,  so stupid - and thoughtless,  when transport operators and the point of origin of the affected horse  should be notified so they can take appropriate measures themselves.

Yes I agree Freda.  Historically the humans in the equine field have handled the likes of Strangles outbreaks poorly - and in so doing, further endangered the population.  As I have mares and foals moving about the North Island I would like to know more so I could make informed decisions.

I religiously vaccinate each of my mares every year for Strangles/Tetanus/EHV - and if the stud they visit requires more, they quarantine and vaccinate for those extras.  It's not cheap and requires multiple boosters in the case of the Pneumabort vacc and I do wonder if all breeders are as diligent.  Herd immunity is generally a poorly understood concept IMO. 

Just look at those righteous, zealous anti-vaxers in the human world who puff their chests out and use as proof the fact that THEIR little darlings  Fern & Skye have never been jabbed & haven't yet caught measles .... those parents are probably too young to have known anyone who was afflicted with Polio .. or who was born from a mother who contracted Rubella while pregnant ..   but I digress!!

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1