Bit Of A Yarn

Ellerslie's new starter, Mcgovern?

I'm not sure what his starting history is but did anyone see the start where Manchu was declared a non runner post race?

There was a simply awful technical hitch by the looks, whereby the entire field charged the gates after he'd depressed the button but the power wasn't connected??  That's my take on the matter, any other thoughts?

And this mans experience?  

In usual circumstances the entire field would have been vet checked but he just let them go after another second or two after the first fuck up.

Post race three horses came back bleeding and two were lame.  The starter said he thought a couple charged the gates but he didn't see any horse hit the gates.

If I was him I'd be booking all the tests, hearing, shortsightedness, longsightedness, hand/eye coordination, smell and then take a lie detector test with intravenous pentathol added.

26 minutes ago, Julz said:

I'm not sure what his starting history is but did anyone see the start where Manchu was declared a non runner post race?

There was a simply awful technical hitch by the looks, whereby the entire field charged the gates after he'd depressed the button but the power wasn't connected??  That's my take on the matter, any other thoughts?

And this mans experience?  

In usual circumstances the entire field would have been vet checked but he just let them go after another second or two after the first fuck up.

Post race three horses came back bleeding and two were lame.  The starter said he thought a couple charged the gates but he didn't see any horse hit the gates.

If I was him I'd be booking all the tests, hearing, shortsightedness, longsightedness, hand/eye coordination, smell and then take a lie detector test with intravenous pentathol added.

He hadn't pressed the button at all. Several riders anticipated the start. 

MANCHU (L Innes) - Dislodged its rider when leaving the barriers.   A Request for a Ruling was subsequently filed with the Judicial Committee as to whether MANCHU had been denied a fair start.   In the course of the inquiry it was apparent that several runners had anticipated the start charging the front of the barriers prior to the start being effected shortly after this.   After charging the front of the barriers L Innes, the rider of MANCHU, then had both feet out of the irons when the gates opened.   After hearing submissions and viewing films the Judicial Committee declared MANCHU to be a non starter with all bets refunded.   The Starter was spoken to regarding the incident and advised that in a similar circumstance time should be taken to ensure that all horses and riders are ready and in a fit condition for a start. 

Thanks, but I've read it before and I'm calling bullshit on that.

I have the tape where he clearly calls watch ya gates, presses down the button, the entire field hit the front of the stalls and then he tries again without the call.

All the while with his head up watching the field.  How he says " I saw a few charge the gates but none hitting" is incomprehensible when he's standing behind the gates on a raised platform.

Make that, 3 Bleeders, one lame and one fractured pastern now.

He has a very smart Panama hat on which may have slipped over his eyes, although he would have heard all 13 making an awful bashing sound as they crashed into the stalls, in unison.

Is he from Panama?

• Champ Post 1

This is another case of how incompetent the RIU is.

I have spoken to several riders and they say it is completely untrue that riders didn't call out, which is what Goober said they didn't call out.

To my way of thinking punters were screwed again when horses weren't removed and vet checked , as the hole field charged the gates when the starter called our Watch The Gates then recoiled backwards and then he hit the button again.

Would we have this wet ticket approach into this incident, if Innes had been badly injured and Work Safe had been called in.?

If people don't remember how badly a horse can be  hurt when they hit the gates,cast your mine back to a similar incident when One Baker Street did exactly this also at this course.Her injuries included total blindness,multiple head injuries and days later she was put down,so not to unload the field  and push the button a split second later  is beyond  belief .

I tuned into Pete Earlys show and when Goober was asked a question on the incident,What came out of mouth just showed me his lack of leadership in his role as the Head of the RIU

• Champ Post 1

16 hours ago, Bill said:

Google search will tell you he started in NZ before going to HKJC so I’d suggest he knows what he is doing

https://www.scmp.com/sport/racing/article/1987722/away-and-racing-gates-crash-back-starter-tony-mcgoverns-retirement

Thanks, so that makes it even more incomprehensible that someone with years of experience could fuck it up so badly then totally lie instead of owning it.

Perhaps he's not used to the Steriline starting button along with his hearing and eyesight?

I heard George Simon talking about him on the radio.  He told him he expects Jockeys to be ready at all times.

Well they weren't ready to race and neither were the injured horses.

1 hour ago, muzenza365 said:

This is another case of how incompetent the RIU is.

I have spoken to several riders and they say it is completely untrue that riders didn't call out, which is what Goober said they didn't call out.

To my way of thinking punters were screwed again when horses weren't removed and vet checked , as the hole field charged the gates when the starter called our Watch The Gates then recoiled backwards and then he hit the button again.

Would we have this wet ticket approach into this incident, if Innes had been badly injured and Work Safe had been called in.?

If people don't remember how badly a horse can be  hurt when they hit the gates,cast your mine back to a similar incident when One Baker Street did exactly this also at this course.Her injuries included total blindness,multiple head injuries and days later she was put down,so not to unload the field  and push the button a split second later  is beyond  belief .

I tuned into Pete Earlys show and when Goober was asked a question on the incident,What came out of mouth just showed me his lack of leadership in his role as the Head of the RIU

So you also saw the whole field smash the gates and then Innes give him a spray while sitting on the ground as well?

Also compare the fine that Kylie Williams received, $250, when punching the air half a stride before the post and the no official warning that this Starter got when 3 horses came back with lacerations including 2 that were lame, 1 with a fracture.

And he observed zero horses smashing into the stalls? Pull the fucking other one.

As for Earley and Godber, they simply piss in each other's pocket.  Of course the riu have never made a mistake and they've never lied either so it's a symbiotic piss take they give each other.

• Champ Post 1