Bit Of A Yarn

where is everybody?

1 hour ago, Freda said:

I have been giving this a lot of thought, and more I do, the more complex it becomes.

I think, initially, one would look at the open handicaps/black type races, and see if they are a good fit where they are.  Fiddling with tradition is not a clever thing to do,  so,  those tried-and-true races should be left alone.

Then,  sort out a decent progression of two year old and three year old races, bearing in mind the need to fit in wherever possible with the important races nationally.

Programmes could be padded out with races for those in training and available..a database should be easy enough to supply numbers/grades.   Alternatively,  call for open entries for specific distances, and make up the fields around those.

Take into consideration distance progressions to allow sensible graduation.  WTF does Riccarton persist with the god-awful 1800m distance,  it's neither your arse nor your elbow,  they can run 2500 -2800 anytime they wish,  but don't.

Think about time of the year.   Track conditions and holiday periods all have a bearing on good fields and public interest.

We've just had five racedays at Riccarton,  I'd be very surprised if they were profitable in any shape or form.  Small fields, rock hard ground, zero public interest.    Midsummer meeting the only one held there over that period for years.

A series or two?  an 'industry'  or 'provincial'  series, culminating in a final?   sprint, mile, middle-distance?  Points system,  doesn't need much dosh to make it interesting.     Despite being respected for years as breeding quality stayers and classic horses, we don't anymore...but maybe a staying series with a final too?

I live in hope.

Excellent suggestions. I am an industry outsider but that  all makes sense to me. Now who's the person in charge of South Island racing who can make these things happen?

I don't think anyone will be putting their hands up.     Most - those toeing the party line anyway  -   will be waiting anxiously to see how the Racing Bill plays out,  so they can find out which clubs' assets will be assimilated into the fund for the 'greater good'.