Bit Of A Yarn

Compare this Economic Report from Victoria, AU with NZ

We often hear about the contribution that Racing makes to the NZ economy.  Often that "contribution" is used to justify direct support from Government.  Which may be fair in a society where those who yell loudest get the most regardless of contribution or need.

Personally I believe the industry should be able to stand on its own two feet and the fact that it can't is testament to the Government support that it keeps getting.  Sadly the code that arguably has the most wealth, thoroughbred racing, needs the most support.  I'm surprised why the leaders of the other codes haven't protested why they are having to carry a disproportionate weight of the excesses of its big brother.

Anyway - attached is an economic report of racing in the State of Victoria, Australia.  If your Sunday is a wet one I suggest you have a read and compare it to New Zealand.  A number of things stood out to me but two in particularly - the amount that racing directly pays to the state government and secondly the recognition of the value that volunteers in the industry add.  In New Zealand we want to avoid the former and eliminate the latter.

ier-vri-size--scope-report--sep-2018v2.pdf

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

We often hear about the contribution that Racing makes to the NZ economy.  Often that "contribution" is used to justify direct support from Government.  Which may be fair in a society where those who yell loudest get the most regardless of contribution or need.

Personally I believe the industry should be able to stand on its own two feet and the fact that it can't is testament to the Government support that it keeps getting.  Sadly the code that arguably has the most wealth, thoroughbred racing, needs the most support.  I'm surprised why the leaders of the other codes haven't protested why they are having to carry a disproportionate weight of the excesses of its big brother.

Anyway - attached is an economic report of racing in the State of Victoria, Australia.  If your Sunday is a wet one I suggest you have a read and compare it to New Zealand.  A number of things stood out to me but two in particularly - the amount that racing directly pays to the state government and secondly the recognition of the value that volunteers in the industry add.  In New Zealand we want to avoid the former and eliminate that latter.

ier-vri-size--scope-report--sep-2018v2.pdf 3.16 MB · 0 downloads

We have the best of both. Pay nothing to government (in fact the revrese) and a huge volunteer added value but still can't survive.

Edited by curious

41 minutes ago, curious said:

That's the Strategic Plan.  The last Business Plan posted was 2015-17.  I thought they had to present one every three years.  So the 2017 is missing and we are due one for 2020.

However since Saundry has taken over the transparency of the NZTR operation has gone.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

That's the Strategic Plan.  The last Business Plan posted was 2015-17.  I thought they had to present one every three years.  So the 2017 is missing and we are due one for 2020.

However since Saundry has taken over the transparency of the NZTR operation has gone.

Non existent CS, I hear people say how wonderful BS is because he is so approachable, well so is the women at the reception desk , but that wasn't what he was employed to do , what has he achieved since being here?

I know he is going to claim success for shutting down venues (utterly pointless at any rate & no financial justification for doing so in most cases, not to mention just  a case of acting like a bully to do so) and ride off the back of the success of the Racing Bill (with respect to some change coming whether good or bad) but what else is he here for - FB Live?

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1