Bit Of A Yarn

Weanling Sale - Astonishing Result???

Brodie

Gavel House recently conducted a Weanling sale online which closed last week.

It was announced that the sale was astonishing with a 97% sale rate.

It was mentioned on Trackside that the sale was a success and might be the way of the future for selling!!!

If that sale was a success, I would hate to see a failure or poor sale.

There were a few over 120 weanlings and a few yearlings sold.

The staggering thing was that the median for the sale was only$4,550!!!!!

Sweet Lou is  meant to be an up and coming sire and yet there was only a very few that sold for anywhere near his service fee of $12k, in fact some sold for approx. one months training fee.

There were many sold for very little.

There were a small few that sold for ok money but you would expect that.

Point is that why would,you bother breeding when you are not even going to get close to the service fee when you go to sell?

Next years yearling sales is going to be the deciding factor for the future whether the horse no,s are going to hold up, bearing in mind stakes are going to be dropping and training costs are still not cheap.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Brodie said:

Next years yearling sales is going to be the deciding factor for the future whether the horse no,s are going to hold up, bearing in mind stakes are going to be dropping and training costs are still not cheap.

Make blood spinning illegal and training costs would be reduced enormously lol.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Brodie said:

Point is that why would,you bother breeding when you are not even going to get close to the service fee when you go to sell?

They are not. Numbers are falling fast.

People may be dedicated and passionate etc but at the end of the day dollars count and there comes a time when you are foolish to continue.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I think I would pretty safe to say that the Blood Spinners will not be racing in Nz within the next 2 years.

Their Racing module does not warrant racing for small stakes and most of their owners will have their tails between their legs.

10 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

8 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

They are not. Numbers are falling fast.

People may be dedicated and passionate etc but at the end of the day dollars count and there comes a time when you are foolish to continue.

I  would say that the Blood Spinners will not be racing horses in NZ within the next couple of years.

Their racing module is not developed for racing for smaller stakes and their owners are getting longer in the tooth and won’t be bothered much longer.

They may have a smaller stable here but I would say they would be in Oz or the United States once things settle down.

i Believe that yearling sales is going to have many breeders licking their wounds and not breeding again as there is not much money in it with all the costs including exhorbitant stallion fees.

Edited by Brodie

43 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Be off to hang out with Dexter most likely. Australia is the same as NZ.

Oz Racing would suit their business module better than here, however It probably will be the States.

You could tell Nat had just about had enough when she was interviewed by Dave McCarthy.